The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not much change this week. deer are starting to browse it a bit. they do have the courtesy to just nip the leaves. Will the plants still do ok when browsed? Will the root/bulb still grow?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Last week i had 2-3 deer in mine, since the 2nd frost its been 20+. All doe, not even 1 buck. They are all over the DE rape and leaving everything else. Can only get better

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
That is what they are doing to mine, hitting the DE. Happens every year. Amazes me how they can walk thru a plot with 3-5 varieties of brassicas, and pick out the DE first.

Shows just how much deer are preferential feeders.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I watched several deer in my food plot last night. Some rather close and I couldn't tell what exactly they were picking out. But it was obvious they were selecting something. I have oats, wheat, triticale, winter peas, a couple clovers and brassicas. They are liking it though...

·
Registered
83 Posts

This is pretty typical of the deer getting after my brassica these days. It's the 4th year I've planted it. First year, they basically didn't touch it. Second year, only after a few hards frosts in late season. Third year and beyond, they tear it out by the roots starting in September. I honestly don't see evidence of them selectively browsing Dwarf Essex Rape. They're hitting all the brassicas ... even the turnips. And there are plenty of other food sources including corn, clover, and acorns available to them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Magnus, looks like you are experiencing severe crop damage. I can help you with that. LOL

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
gblrbndr said:
Dutch, I already got that under control! : ) Wait till you see how the other fields responded to that nitrogen.
You'll have brassicas up to your eyeballs soon!

Was thinking of heading up that way on Sunday, not sure yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts