The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the deer found them. A few doe and fawns found them a few weeks ago and nibbled a little. Last tuesday 11/3, I looked out the back window and counted 10 bodies of deer under the bright full moon. Some were grazing the turnips and most were out where i overseeded the lawn with oats and clover. I noticed one was a buck and spotlighted it. Sure enough it was a young eight. There was also a fork horn that my wife saw the next morning still eating at first light. In a few short days of 6+ deer a night in the small plot, it was flat out fried. There are still stems and some bulbs left so they have been coming back here and there. I gave the lower yard a final mowing. I cut the oats down even with the rest of the grass to about 2.5 inches. Question is: will the oats continue to grow? They did surprisingly well germination wise.

Here are the pics. Im applying for a crop damage permit.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
As long as we don't get a really heavy freeze, say 25 degrees the oats should continue to grow especially with this mild weather we've been having...

Next year you need to RoundUp the whole back end of your yard and plant it all in a food plot!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah you are right....at this rate you wont have any taxidermy bills or butchering bills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts