The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up at camp Sunday and Monday. You would be very hard pressed to find two more perfect days in McKean County. I did some fishing and caught a couple rainbows. Saw 4 flocks of turkeys and 17 deer.

The highlight of the trip though had to be our visit to Kinzua Bridge State Park. Been a couple years since I had been there. They have built a beautiful new visitors center. It just opened last Friday and is still under construction. The place hardly looks at all like the old park. The center has some old railroad artifacts, movies, displays, info about area wildlife and a gift shop that was not open yet on Monday.
Anyone who is looking for something to do, or hasn't been to the bridge in a while, I'm guessing would be pretty pleased with a stop there.
Out at the end of the bridge, at the observation deck, is a glass floor that you can stand on and look down through-several hundred feet above the ground. It creeped me out a little and I wouldn't totally step out on it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We were up July 2nd. My grandkids cleaned out of $5 in quarters rolling pennies.. Always a good trip there... After there we went to Jakes Rocks and then stopped at Bobs Trading Post for,lunch

·
Registered
244 Posts
We were up on July 2 as well Amazing to see all that twisted steel , still laying there . We were also there 2 weeks before it all came down Hard to believe we would catch the train in Marienville and go across that bridge The new center wasn't open when we were there but definatly plan to go back and check it out Kudu we just missed ya we went up Tuesday morning

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used to catch it in Kane and ride up. Boy would it be nice to be able to do that again. I can recall being very small and my grandfather would take me out there. I would always pick up a handful of stones before we went out and we would drop them off the middle and try to land them in Kinzua Creek. I would always count how long it took them to hit the ground and would be amazed it took that long. As nice as the new visitor center is, I would love to go back to those older days just once.

Yeah Pappy, I always still keep an eye on your place when we go by. We saw a smallish 6 point on the line across the road from your place. The guy next you was there Monday but that was it-nobody else around. That was actually the first I'd been up in a while. Been battling some health issues for about two months now. I just got sick of staying around the house and not being able to do anything. Told the wife I wanted her to drive me up and just do SOMETHING no matter how much aggravation I caused myself by doing it. I have what will hopefully be my final surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Can't wait to get back to normalcy and be able to get around again. See you up there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was just up there last weekend. We didn't make it in there, but we did rent a pontoon and hit the lake for a few hours. My friend has a camp on the hill about a mile down river from the dam. We all come in each year for our "annual man weekend". I love Warren and plan on possibly retiring up there from the military.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Fallair said:
I was just up there last weekend. We didn't make it in there, but we did rent a pontoon and hit the lake for a few hours. My friend has a camp on the hill about a mile down river from the dam. We all come in each year for our "annual man weekend". I love Warren and plan on possibly retiring up there from the military.
I just did retire to Warren county.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts