The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i take a full mounted deer set it up and video road hunters shooting it then turn the video over to the wco and get them arrested?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,650 Posts
i dont know about that, but i called the local WCO and he was going to bring a robo deer out and set it up. Although Ran out of time during the hunting season last year. Id say call the GC to set up a robo deer rather than try to take it into your own hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
I only laugh because I am considering doing the same thing. They can't say no to video proof, nor would they i'm sure!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZacPAbowhunter said:
i dont know about that, but i called the local WCO and he was going to bring a robo deer out and set it up. Although Ran out of time during the hunting season last year. Id say call the GC to set up a robo deer rather than try to take it into your own hands.
they would have a feild day just from the guys driving around our block!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Leave it to the professionals, you could get yourself sued. There are many procedures in place for decoys, the first of which is getting the approval of the DA. There are also safety provisions in place as to placement of decoys. I doubt any WCO would try to prosecute from a video of shooting of a decoy set up by a civilian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
John, what are the odds of getting a "robo" deer setup upon request? Do there need to be prior complaints in an area or is it pretty much a case by case decision? I think it is pretty obvious where/when roadhunters are lurking and with input from locals, we could put a damper on their fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,650 Posts
treestand91 said:
ZacPAbowhunter said:
i dont know about that, but i called the local WCO and he was going to bring a robo deer out and set it up. Although Ran out of time during the hunting season last year. Id say call the GC to set up a robo deer rather than try to take it into your own hands.
they would have a feild day just from the guys driving around our block!!!!
tell me about it !! ive called numerous times
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
If you are having a problem with road hunting call your WCO and tell him. A request must be made to the regional office for every set up, the officers may not just run around setting up decoys, they must justify it on each occasion and the area must be safe to do it because of the danger of people shooting at the decoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
Imagine all the "what ifs" should you do this on your own. You could be in need of a good lawyer or an emergency room.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats why i said it was a crazy thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,773 Posts
John S said:
I doubt any WCO would try to prosecute from a video of shooting of a decoy set up by a civilian.
Why is that John S??? The way you explained to me in another post of me using my dog to retrieve a dead deer you made it sound like the PAGC would go to GREAT LENGHTHS to prosecute me if they could prove I used the dog???
But they wont use a civilians video to prosecute a REAL POACHER

I just dont get it
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,047 Posts
One of the things that really help is to have people call in and report the road hunting they see in an area.

One of the things we need prior to running a decoy operation is documentation of road hunting in the area. Even though I know road hunting is a problem in many areas I can’t really document it unless someone has complained about it. Therefore, I don’t have the required documentation to fall back on for working a decoy in those areas, though I often which I did.

Call and report the road hunting when you see it and be specific about where you are seeing it. Then let the WCO handle it from there.

Dick Bodenhorn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
if you have a video of someone shooting a real deer no problem, but as John said there are many provisions in place to assure the safety of the officers, as well as any other hunters in the woods, not to mention other traffic on the roads. we usually plan for days to get everything right. not to mention the safety risk we put outselves in when we are setting up the decoy... leave it to the folks trained to do it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,988 Posts
I guess that would be like following a speeder in your vehicle and videoing the speed of your car and saying the car in front of you was doing that speed. There, you got a video of the speed they were going, take it to the law and get em a fine. LEAVE THE LAWING TO THE PROFESSIONALS!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,309 Posts
When idiots were driving like lunatics, peeling wheels intentionally sliding around corners, doing donuts in fields, etc., the state troopers in this area specifically told folks they would not prosecute based on even the word of ten witnesses, but would prosecute if the acts were caught on video tape. Two families set up video cameras and their tapes led to several guilty pleas and convictions. Suddenly no more would be race car drivers in the area. The irony, is that one family actually paid for an put up a DOT approved yellow sign about a deaf child in the neighborhood. That seemed to attract all the yahoos to do things in front of that house.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ICAREDOYOU said:
I guess that would be like following a speeder in your vehicle and videoing the speed of your car and saying the car in front of you was doing that speed. There, you got a video of the speed they were going, take it to the law and get em a fine. LEAVE THE LAWING TO THE PROFESSIONALS!!!!!
wouldnt you then be breaking the law also. that is nothing like putiing a decoy out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but if the robo deer has a rack of say 135" would the WCO be able to tack on an additional restitution fine beause the road hunter was shooting at a trophy class buck? Or add restitution for the robo deer to be repaired or replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
I remember reading something about using smaller racks because with lager/trophy racks their was more of an argument for entrapment. The article I was reading was about the use of robots nation wide, not just in PA.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top