The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has won a number of guns so far this year at gun bashes. His last take away was a Kimber 84L custom. He hasn't even taken it out of the box. He offered it to me for $700 and will also include a complete detail job on the wife's minivan.(He details as a side job)
My question is does anyone own a Kimber rifle? I have a number of their pistols and they are all great shooters. From everything I've read their rifles are no different. I would love to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
I have some. What is your question?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overall accuracy? Reliability? Fit and feel of the rifle? Pros and cons on the rifle that have come along.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
No first hand experience but from everything I've heard they're pretty darn good. They do have a subMOA policy I believe. The regular hunter model I believe retails for around $799+. So I suppose that's not a bad deal considering the gun is considered used whether it has been fired or not. Handle it and see if you like it or not. I don't think you will find any problems the with reliability or quality of the gun. Whether it fits you well and you like the feel is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Overall accuracy? Reliability? Fit and feel of the rifle? Pros and cons on the rifle that have come along.
Reliability, fit and feel are in my opinion great.

My .223 is one of the first 84s made. It shoots around 1 inch with most ammo.

I also have a Montana. It was the last one they made in .338 Federal. Kimber put it together at the request of a friend who knew the owners. I think they put a barrel on the action and added the necessary parts and did not fit anything.

It did not shoot when I first got it. After I got done with it I had it shooting 1" three shot groups with certain loads.

For the record they are my favorite rifles.

What caliber is the one your looking at?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
OK. A great caliber for just about anything in N. America.

Is it the Hunter model? I saw one on the rack recently for $700.

BTW I have trouble keeping up on the Kimber's. Every time I look they have a different model or name. I just looked at their website and they list numerous models I never saw before.

·
Registered
20,881 Posts
I'm pretty sure a custom will have a wood stock.The new hunter is around $750 and has an injection molded stock.

·
Registered
20,881 Posts
Reliability, fit and feel are in my opinion great.

My .223 is one of the first 84s made. It shoots around 1 inch with most ammo.

I also have a Montana. It was the last one they made in .338 Federal. Kimber put it together at the request of a friend who knew the owners. I think they put a barrel on the action and added the necessary parts and did not fit anything.

It did not shoot when I first got it. After I got done with it I had it shooting 1" three shot groups with certain loads.

For the record they are my favorite rifles.

What caliber is the one your looking at?

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that .338 fed.I'm having one built right now on a model 7 action but would jump on a .338 Montana for my son.I may even sell my 300 wsm if I found one.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. A great caliber for just about anything in N. America.

Is it the Hunter model? I saw one on the rack recently for $700.

BTW I have trouble keeping up on the Kimber's. Every time I look they have a different model or name. I just looked at their website and they list numerous models I never saw before.
It's not the Hunter model, it is the Classic Select Grade. I have a number of .270s and love the round. I've taken a lot of deer with them over the years. My go to is an older savage 111 with a synthetic stock. I feed it with 130grn remington corelocks. Inexpensive gun that shoots inexpensive ammo and is really accurate as long as I do my part. Can't ask for much else.
I picked up the Kimber today and it is really nice. Having trouble deciding to keep it or trade for a mountain ascent model with synthetic and stainless. I hunt hard and get into some nasty areas. The synthetics take more abuse especially in the crappy weather we've had the last few seasons

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that .338 fed.I'm having one built right now on a model 7 action but would jump on a .338 Montana for my son.I may even sell my 300 wsm if I found one.

I'll never sell it. I have it shooting and it is a pleasure to hunt with. I doubt it weighs 6 pounds with the scope. I have two bad shoulders but it is so light it is one of the few guns I can get up to the shoulder quickly.

I have come to believe the .338 Federal is one of the best rounds out there for what and where I hunt.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
It's not the Hunter model, it is the Classic Select Grade.

I picked up the Kimber today and it is really nice. Having trouble deciding to keep it or trade for a mountain ascent model with synthetic and stainless. I hunt hard and get into some nasty areas. The synthetics take more abuse especially in the crappy weather we've had the last few seasons
Then it is worth a lot more than $700.

I agree with you about synthetic stocks. Sometimes you spend more time worrying about the gun than hunting.

Good luck with it. They are great guns.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It's not the Hunter model, it is the Classic Select Grade. I have a number of .270s and love the round. I've taken a lot of deer with them over the years. My go to is an older savage 111 with a synthetic stock. I feed it with 130grn remington corelocks. Inexpensive gun that shoots inexpensive ammo and is really accurate as long as I do my part. Can't ask for much else.
If you're going to get a Kimber Mtn. Ascent consider joining Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA). I know it's a lot of money but their Kimber Platinum Lifetime membership package is $2500 and includes that rifle in your choice of caliber. Great organization.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ten years ago, I bought a Kimber 84 at Shydas in .308. Within 9 months, it was returned to the Yonkers factory 3 times. First, one pillar was installed at a very slight off angle, and fitting the action in the stock was near impossible. Returned it and they replaced the stock with a beautiful piece of wood. Then my smith found a pitted area near the muzzle. The replaced the barrel. Finally, took it to the range and put 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber. When I fired, the floor plate opened and the shells fell to the ground. Back to the factory again and they repaired it. The barrel blues badly and it is not very accurate.
I would never recommend a Kimber to any one. But maybe mine was the odd ball.

·
Registered
20,881 Posts
I've heard similar stories about Kimber's but I haven't experienced any.I currently own four and they all function fine and shoot good.My son was having feeding problems with the one .308 so I called Kimber and they sent me a new follower spring which solved the problem.I do believe at one time they did have some quality control issues.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Holy cow I also won a Kimber rifle at a QDMA banquet 2 weeks ago. mine is a 7mm 08 wit a camo stock

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Holy cow I also won a Kimber rifle at a QDMA banquet 2 weeks ago. mine is a 7mm 08 wit a camo stock
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
I've heard similar stories about Kimber's but I haven't experienced any.
There were similar stories and I ended up with one of those "storied" rifles. I had a friend who knew Kimber's owners. I wanted the Montana in .338. He called and they told him they had stopped making that caliber. They got back to him and said they "found one in the corner" and sent it to him. I think they screwed on a barrel and gathered some parts and threw it together. You might say it was custom made. :) I reassembled the rifle refitting and bedding it. I did send the action back to get the lock time cut down. I had it back in a week. Great customer service. I got it shooting and it is my favorite big game rifle. Well worth the effort I put into it.

BTW most of the problems I remember seemed to be related to the original Montana model. There was a lot of talk about the Montana on 24hourcampfire.

The good thing is that if there is a problem or problems they can be corrected and you end up with a fantastic rifle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts