The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I actually bought a new Savage bear hunter 338 fed last week..have not been able to shoot yet because I had a total knee replacement on April 21..I LIKE THE ODDBALL CALIBERS...

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
i have tac, lever, and benchmark. Saw some loads woth h322 so i will give that a shot as well. I dont have any reloader 7. Saw some at a shop and shouldve bought it.
Right now I only have a little RL-7 left. If the LVR and Benchmark work out I will not need to buy more. CFE223 is supposed to be another good powder I have to try in addition to TAC.

I did try H322. I'll have to check my notes for the results.

RL-15 was another powder that worked well but not as good as the RL-7.

BTW the inaccuracy of my .338 should not reflect on others. I got mine right from Kimber knowing it had some issues.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
From what you posted, "inaccuracy" isn't really an issue with your gun. 1.5 in groups are fine under most conditions where a 338 fed would be used, it's not really made for long range hunting.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for all the replies and information! Ill keep updating the post with my load development and all if you guys dont mind! I ordered some redding dies, starline brass and those 160 barnes bullets. Who knows when I’ll actually get them though. Im gonna order a sample pack of the 180 accubonds to have on hand as well. After holding the gun and shooting it i want the long action version in 25-06.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
From what you posted, "inaccuracy" isn't really an issue with your gun. 1.5 in groups are fine under most conditions where a 338 fed would be used, it's not really made for long range hunting.
I know that! ;)

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I wouldn't tolerate that kind of a group.Even though what you said is accurate,it would mess with my head.I have 5 Kimber Montanas 2-223's a 300wsm and 2 .308's,which I rebored the one to .338 fed.The .308's both shot just under and inch but the .223's and .300 wsm are all legitimate one ragged hole shooters at 100 yards.They heat up fast but for normal hunting applications,are extremely accurate.

The 180gr accubonds really shine in that caliber.I'm a big fan of ttsx bullets as well but couldn't get the 185gr to shoot within my specs.If you want to try some,I can mail you some free of charge.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Thanks DCE, but I don't have a 338 to shoot them with. I do have the 338's big brother, a 358 winchester. Really 2 very similar rounds, I'm sure nothing hit with either would know the difference. As far as accuracy, 1.5 inch groups wouldn't bother me as I'd only be using a 338 or a 358 at woods ranges. If I'm going somewhere shots would be longer, iv'e got better tools for that job. I do have some 35 caliber 200 gr accubonds here, just haven't gotten around to loading any. They are a long sleek bullet with a better bc than any other 200 grain 35 caliber bullets, and might work well if I needed a bullet with better downrange ballistics than the 225 sgk's iv'e been shooting. Also have some 225 gr partitions I'm going to load, just because.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
At .338 Fed velocities on PA game, I see no need whatsoever for any type of premium bullet. The performance and accuracy that will be gotten from any regular old cup and core bullet will be just fine. If people feel good about shooting them, that's their decision.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
.338 fed velocities with 180gr bullets ae right there with 30-06 velocities with the same bullet,actually about 100 fps faster..I've had far more consistent results using accubonds and TTSX out of 308's and 30-06's than I have with Hordnady interlocks and sierra game kings.I've had both of those bullets not exit a number of times and I demand an exit wound 100% of the time.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
i have tac, lever, and benchmark. Saw some loads woth h322 so i will give that a shot as well. I dont have any reloader 7. Saw some at a shop and shouldve bought it. Wish itcould use norma 200. I have a whole pound and no rifle to use it in.
I was wrong. I never tried H322. I did try 748 and it looks like that shot good. I also found some good loads using the 185 TTSX and RL-15.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I was wrong. I never tried H322. I did try 748 and it looks like that shot good. I also found some good loads using the 185 TTSX and RL-15.
thanks for the tips!! I love rl15 in my 308 88. My dies will be here Friday and im gonna load up something to take to the range sunday. Will report the results!

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
.338 fed velocities with 180gr bullets ae right there with 30-06 velocities with the same bullet,actually about 100 fps faster.
So you're telling me that you get 2900fps+ with a 180 out of a 338 Fed. Because that's what I'm reading with it not that difficult to get 2800 form an '06.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Nope you get 2800+ with a .338 fed and tac.Most factory 06 rounds with 180gr bullets are around 2700 fps.The .338 fed exceed muzzle energies and velocities of a 30-06.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts