The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Take a look at the Leupold Backcountry mounts if you are a Leupy guy. Same thing as the Talley mounts. That setup with the VX3 in 2.5-8 would be a sweet piece!!!
But if you want to go all the way on the scope, get a VX5HD in 2-10x42...just sayin...
dude i would love the vx5hd but they are way out of my price range unfortunately. I always do it backwards buy a expensive gun and put a 2-300 scope on it instead of getting top notch glass.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I hear you. But that scope costs less than what you paid for the rifle. That scope alone would likely make it close to a 1/2 MOA rifle as well. If you go on Amazon, you can get it for around $900. Just think how NICE that setup would be...:devilish:

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
Wait longer between shots. Bigeasy nailed it. These are hunting rifles, not benchrest rifles. Start from a totally cold bore. And wait several minutes between shots.
I find that if you take your time and make sure that you execute a good shot, they are amazingly accurate. I have gotten 1/2 MOA groups when I do things right.
That is not hunting conditions. This is a hunting rifle and I want to know what it does in real world hunting conditions.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I'm a Kimber fan.In fact,just about every rifle I own is a Kimber.I always wanted a .338 Fed so a few years ago,I had one made from a Model 7 action.I really liked the caliber but the rifle wasn't a Kimber so I sold it.After hunting season was over last year,I sent my kimber Montana in .308 to JES reboring to have it bored to .338 fed.I haven't played around with it other than to work a load up with 180 accubonds and a stiff dose of TAC.It shoots well within my specs so I look forward to thumping some deer with it this fall.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have Talley light weight scope mounts on several rifles, and their quality and strength is top notch. Makes sense to save a couple ounces where you can on an ultra light rifle. I run a Leupold VX-1 3x9 on my Kimber 30-06, and a VX-2 2x7 on the 7mm/08. Good hunting glass.

Larry

thats why i wasnt to beat up about the groups opening up. My 280 mountain rifle is the same way. Only thing im not sure about is the scope arrangement. I have a vx1 3-9x40 in leupy std mounts. My buddy is pleading me to put a vx3 2.5-8 on it in low stds. Im debating talley lightweights. I love talley rings and mounts. Not sure yet

·
Registered
11,630 Posts

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
I thought about a 338 fed but my 358 win came along first.

I bought a medium bore to shoot heavy bullets, not the same weight is could shoot out of a 308. What's the point in a medium bore if you"re going to shoot light bullets? The 215 sgk would be my bullet of choice in a 338 fed for whitetails. And my Hodgen manual shows levereolution to be 150 fps faster than any other powder, something iv'e found true in my 358 as well, although it isn't listed for the 358.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I bought a medium bore to shoot heavy bullets, not the same weight is could shoot out of a 308. What's the point in a medium bore if you"re going to shoot light bullets?
I agree. If I had a .338 Fed, I'd be shooting 200 grain Hornady Interlocks. At those velocities, you would get great performance out of them. For me, the heavier weights are what the mediums are all about.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I thought about a 338 fed but my 358 win came along first.

I bought a medium bore to shoot heavy bullets, not the same weight is could shoot out of a 308. What's the point in a medium bore if you"re going to shoot light bullets? The 215 sgk would be my bullet of choice in a 338 fed for whitetails. And my Hodgen manual shows levereolution to be 150 fps faster than any other powder, something iv'e found true in my 358 as well, although it isn't listed for the 358.
I want to shoot the 210gr partition to be honest, but would rather have some light bullets on hand just in case it does prefer the light bullets. I wonder if the 338 federal can push a 160 faster than a 308 can.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
. I wonder if the 338 federal can push a 160 faster than a 308 can.
I looked at the Nosler reloading data site. The lightest bullet they list for the .338 Fed as a 180. Max velocity with it is 2728 fps with TAC powder and a 24" barrel.
They also don't list a 160 for the .308. A 180 out of it with a 24" barrel as well maxed out at 2617 with RL15 or W760 powders.
I don't have a Barnes book to compare info.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I looked at the Nosler reloading data site. The lightest bullet they list for the .338 Fed as a 180. Max velocity with it is 2728 fps with TAC powder and a 24" barrel.
They also don't list a 160 for the .308. A 180 out of it with a 24" barrel as well maxed out at 2617 with RL15 or W760 powders.
I don't have a Barnes book to compare info.
looks like youd get maybe 200fps more with the 338. Not real significant. I find it interesting that the bigger bore allows for a bit more velocity vs the smaller one. I noticed that in my 338-06 vs the regular 06. It must be because the larger bullet gives the gas more surface area to push on or makes the cartridge more efficient.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
I want to shoot the 210gr partition to be honest, but would rather have some light bullets on hand just in case it does prefer the light bullets. I wonder if the 338 federal can push a 160 faster than a 308 can.
That 210 partition would be a terrific choice in the 338 fed. Those lighter bullets in 338 don't have a very high bc, again that's why the 200 gr+ bullets work so well in a 338. Not saying 160's or 180's might not work but I think the partitions or sgl's would be optimum in a 338 fed.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Heres a load from hodgen for the 338 fed, 215 sgk, leverevoluton powder.
Screenshot_20210504-090632_Chrome.jpg

That's a thumper.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I agree. If I had a .338 Fed, I'd be shooting 200 grain Hornady Interlocks. At those velocities, you would get great performance out of them. For me, the heavier weights are what the mediums are all about.
180 gr accubonds are pure poison on anything that walks in Pa.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts

I have a lot of Hornady 200 gr. Interlocks and some 210 Partitions. With those bullets my Kimber is a 1.5" gun which in real world PA hunting is nothing to worry about. I have also tried the 180 Accubonds and the 185 Barnes. They were in the 1 to 1.5 inch range.

As I said the 160s and RL-7 shot around one inch out of mine. I shot 3 deer with the 160s. I never recovered a bullet. Two went right down and the third went about 30 yards before dropping.

I also purchased some older Barnes 175 gr. monos. I will try them soon.

In the last few years TAC, Benchmark and LEVERevolution seem to work well in the .338 according to what I read. I have Benchmark and LEVERevolution and will try TAC if I can find some.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a lot of Hornady 200 gr. Interlocks and some 210 Partitions. With those bullets my Kimber is a 1.5" gun which in real world PA hunting is nothing to worry about. I have also tried the 180 Accubonds and the 185 Barnes. They were in the 1 to 1.5 inch range.

As I said the 160s and RL-7 shot around one inch out of mine. I shot 3 deer with the 160s. I never recovered a bullet. Two went right down and the third went about 30 yards before dropping.

I also purchased some older Barnes 175 gr. monos. I will try them soon.

In the last few years TAC, Benchmark and LEVERevolution seem to work well in the .338 according to what I read. I have Benchmark and LEVERevolution and will try TAC if I can find some.
i have tac, lever, and benchmark. Saw some loads woth h322 so i will give that a shot as well. I dont have any reloader 7. Saw some at a shop and shouldve bought it. Wish itcould use norma 200. I have a whole pound and no rifle to use it in.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts