The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up Wednesday. Mightve paid too much but i like it. I was set on a 700 25-06 but when i saw this and the guy sent me pictures, i couldnt let it go. Ive never handled a kimber rifle before and have to say i can’t believe how light the thing is, I believe it might have some kick to her with the 338 federal. Took my vx1 off my muzzy to put on here to shoot it some. Haven’t decided what im gonna do for a scope yet. Got some power shocks but im gonna be reloading for it. I have a fresh batch of virgin sig 308 brass that’s probably gonna get made into 338 federal. Im not sure what bullet im gonna run yet. Have some 210gr partitions, 215gr gamekings, 225 accubonds and 185gr ttsxs.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
Nice rifle. In fact so nice that a good buggy of mine won that exact rifle at an NRA banquet and sold it because he said it was too nice to carry through the woods and possibly bang up.(haha)
I don't think it will kick quite as bad as you think. If it is anywhere near as accurate as my KImber you will be ecstatic even if you did overpay a little. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice rifle. In fact so nice that a good buggy of mine won that exact rifle at an NRA banquet and sold it because he said it was too nice to carry through the woods and possibly bang up.(haha)
I don't think it will kick quite as bad as you think. If it is anywhere near as accurate as my KImber you will be ecstatic even if you did overpay a little. Best of luck with it.
wonder if its the same guy i got this rifle from lol. It is the nra edition.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice rifle, but do yourself a favor and don’t give up on the 700 in 25-06. You will be impressed with both the make and caliber.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice rifle, but do yourself a favor and don’t give up on the 700 in 25-06. You will be impressed with both the make and caliber.
Ill have one eventually. I had a browning 25-06 that shot great and loved the cartridge. I just wanted a 25-06 in a remington rifle to go with my collection of remingtons rifles chambered the offspring of the 30-06.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Beautiful rifle!!

I have a Montana in .338 Federal. Recoil is minimal. It is without doubt my favorite PA deer rifle.

BTW mine prefers lighter bullets and it seems 160, 180 and 185 grain bullets produce the best numbers in the .338.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful rifle!!

I have a Montana in .338 Federal. Recoil is minimal. It is without doubt my favorite PA deer rifle.

BTW mine prefers lighter bullets and it seems 160, 180 and 185 grain bullets produce the best numbers in the .338.

Good luck with it!
do you use 338 federal brass or resized 308 brass? I have a fresh bag of virgin 308 brass that im debating making into 338 federal.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
do you use 338 federal brass or resized 308 brass? I have a fresh bag of virgin 308 brass that im debating making into 338 federal.

I started out resizing .308 brass BUT I have a few 308 rifles (and 3 sons) and I was concerned that someone may try to shoot the resized .338 rounds out of a 308. I purchased a 100 rounds of .338 brass.

BTW .308 brass worked fine. It is just a safety issue with me.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After taking three shots to get the scope on i fired a three shot group and got this. Only thing that concerns me is i couldnt replicate that group afterwards. Now the barrel was getting warm so that could have something to do with it since its so thin. Looks like it does show promise and ill have to order up some reloading stuff. I would rate the recoil about like my 30-06. Taking into consideration how light it is, not horrible. Be a great deer gun. Ill post some pictures of some groups of my reloads when i get some.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
When firing or groups, you are going to need to slow things down. Let the barrel cool for a few minutes after each shot. When my Montana heats up, the groupings begin to walk. My best groups come after letting it cool for at least 3 minutes between shots. And I don't shoot when it's hot out.

That group looks to be just under 3/4 inch center to center. Not too bad for the first go round!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When firing or groups, you are going to need to slow things down. Let the barrel cool for a few minutes after each shot. When my Montana heats up, the groupings begin to walk. My best groups come after letting it cool for at least 3 minutes between shots. And I don't shoot when it's hot out.

That group looks to be just under 3/4 inch center to center. Not too bad for the first go round!
i noticed the same thing with my 700 mountain rifle. I knew i was shooting a little fast. Usually i bring four or five guns to gove them all time to cool. Today was just a quick trip. Who wouldve known trying to find 338 federal dies was a chore and a half. Found some starline brass and some 160grbarnes ttsxs im gonna gove a whirl. Im gonna try those 160s out of mt 338-06 too!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice rifle you got there, and an under-rated cartridge as well. That 3/4 inch group looks good. I am a big Kimber fan, and own a .22 bolt action Hunter, a 7mm/08 84m with factory custom wood, and a 84L in 30-06 with the French Walnut option. Had a .270 Montana that I sold.

Love the way the rifles are scaled down to the cartridge, and how easy they carry and point. Their actions remind me of miniature pre-64 model 70's. Unlike some makers, Kimber does not shorten its barrels to save weight. They make them full length, but thin. As a result, all mine have been very accurate and consistent from a cold barrel for the first 3 or 4 shots, then groups can open up a little as the barrel heats. They are hunting rifles, not range guns, and they do that well. I posted a pic of the 84m and 84L along side a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .308. They make that Winchester Featherweight look bulky...

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I'd be real happy with those groups. My Kimber is a 1.5" rifle. With the 160s it is closer to 1". It does heat up fast. With mine I noticed that the first 2 shots are close and then the 3rd opens up and anymore shots open up further.

Where did you find the 160 TTSX? I'd like to get some more.

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
It does heat up fast. With mine I noticed that the first 2 shots are close and then the 3rd opens up and anymore shots open up further.
Wait longer between shots. Bigeasy nailed it. These are hunting rifles, not benchrest rifles. Start from a totally cold bore. And wait several minutes between shots.
I find that if you take your time and make sure that you execute a good shot, they are amazingly accurate. I have gotten 1/2 MOA groups when I do things right.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd be real happy with those groups. My Kimber is a 1.5" rifle. With the 160s it is closer to 1". It does heat up fast. With mine I noticed that the first 2 shots are close and then the 3rd opens up and anymore shots open up further.

Where did you find the 160 TTSX? I'd like to get some more.
precision reloading had some and powder valley

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice rifle you got there, and an under-rated cartridge as well. That 3/4 inch group looks good. I am a big Kimber fan, and own a .22 bolt action Hunter, a 7mm/08 84m with factory custom wood, and a 84L in 30-06 with the French Walnut option. Had a .270 Montana that I sold.

Love the way the rifles are scaled down to the cartridge, and how easy they carry and point. Their actions remind me of miniature pre-64 model 70's. Unlike some makers, Kimber does not shorten its barrels to save weight. They make them full length, but thin. As a result, all mine have been very accurate and consistent from a cold barrel for the first 3 or 4 shots, then groups can open up a little as the barrel heats. They are hunting rifles, not range guns, and they do that well. I posted a pic of the 84m and 84L along side a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .308. They make that Winchester Featherweight look bulky...

Larry
thats why i wasnt to beat up about the groups opening up. My 280 mountain rifle is the same way. Only thing im not sure about is the scope arrangement. I have a vx1 3-9x40 in leupy std mounts. My buddy is pleading me to put a vx3 2.5-8 on it in low stds. Im debating talley lightweights. I love talley rings and mounts. Not sure yet

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
Take a look at the Leupold Backcountry mounts if you are a Leupy guy. Same thing as the Talley mounts. That setup with the VX3 in 2.5-8 would be a sweet piece!!!
But if you want to go all the way on the scope, get a VX5HD in 2-10x42...just sayin...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts