The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for whatever reason I can't bring myself to buy slay and arrest. I have spot sprayed my plots at times but after reading on QDMA forums about mixing GLY at 1oz per gallon and spraying to kill off weeds. It has worked for me for years now. It stunts the clover growth but it does come back. My clover this year even with these crazy temps bounced right back. Heres the pics

The day it was sprayed 7-17

Yesterday looking good 7-26

Here you can see everything dead but the clover still living

This was a very neglected plot that was brassica and clover. Grasses took over most of it but all grass is now dead and the clover is still green

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Mixing "GLY"? As in Glycol? Like RV antifreeze? I have a old brassica plot I need to nuke in order to seed clover in soon. Would that work? Or should I just go with Round Up?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Excellent info, thanks very much. I am anxious to try this method in the future, as Gly is extremely inexpensive compared to slay/arrest and their generics...and I always have it around. Thanks for sharing the pics!

·
Registered
908 Posts
It will kill almost everything except clover. The use of a light dose of gly on clover plots will normally work only on established clover. Clover is very resilient. Spraying a new plot of clover will normally kill it. Also try not to do this when clover is stressed with high heat and no rain. It is not 1% it is 1oz gly per gallon roughly. I have done this many times and it works well.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used this method on established and unestablished clover. Same results. T h e pictures are of clover that was frost seeded this year. Mine has already bounced back

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
By not following the approved rates you are helping to promote the chance of roundup resistant weeds. Mares tail is already here and is resistant to normal doses of roundup. Post is a cheaper than slay or arrest.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would depend on what sprayer your using, speed and nozzle. I use the one ounce per gallon in a 14 gallon tank mounted sprayer. I can get close to an acre sprayed with those 14 gallon. I'm in no way being very accurate I'm just getting the job done so to speak. It works and I'm not changing a thing. As far as timing the spraying that to me depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I just want everything dead I will wait till its hot and make a cutting then spray directly. I want the plants stressed and pulling in the spray right away. If preserving clover I cut a few weeks prior and spray after so as the broadleafs are knocked back already and I'm basically focusing on grasses.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
We use 1 cup Gly in a 20 gallon sprayer for our clover. Same results.

Note: Only spray on established clover plots. We usually won't spray a clover plot until the following year or late fall if we planted in spring.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So the 1 oz. per gallon kills grass and broadleaf weeds? Just cut both clove patches today and starting to see late summer weeds so I will need to spray. Much easier and cheaper to spray once with this mix than twice for broadleaf and grass.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your cutting will knock back your broad leafs. This one Oz per gallon will knock out the grasses and broad leafs. Established clover is recommended but I've sprayed first year clover and got no negative result .

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is the second year for both clover plots and they are doing great so no worries. Will give this a shot next week and see how things go. I'm all for saving time and money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.