The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drill a 1/2 diameter hole into a tree, angled downward & inject some roundup, how much roundup will it take to kill a aspen tree the diameter of a basket ball. I have hundreds & I want them gone. $$$$$$$$$

Is now the time to do this?

·
Registered
864 Posts
On the bottles of roundup is the formula for this or at least last year it was there. We did this for a few trees and it took a lot to actually kill them. Once dead you still need to cut them down and remove the stumps you may want to see if you can yank them depending how big they are.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Are you talking round up? or round up concentrate? Ive bored 1" holes 5"s deep, at a downward angle into unwanted trees, and filled them with Eraser (generic round up) and it killed the trees dead. Its supposed to work better at the beginning of fall.

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
CROW MASTER said:
If I drill a 1/2 diameter hole into a tree, angled downward & inject some roundup, how much roundup will it take to kill a aspen tree the diameter of a basket ball. I have hundreds & I want them gone. $$$$$$$$$

Why not just cut them?? If they are in the woods they will provide good caver for wildlife......

Is now the time to do this?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
It will work much better in late summer early fall, as the herbicide will be pulled down into the roots of the tree, vs. the spring when most of the herbicide will be taken up into the limbs and leaves. Roundup(concentrated) will work, but there are better herbicides out there for trees. Also, it doesn't matter how far you drill into the tree, the only part of it that is living, is the bark.(inner and outer layers) Once you get past that it's just dead wood. Taking an axe or hatchet and making a gash in the bark(with a downward swing, so as to form a small shallow pocket so to speak) will let more area exposed that will take up the herbicide, as opposed to drilling holes. It's also a lot easier and quicker to do it with the axe, than it is to drill holes in all of the trees

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Cut the tree down and apply to the stump in early spring or late fall.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If your going to have to remove them anyway why not just cut them down?
If you want to kill them just cut a 6" band around the tree and remove the bark. Tree will die from lack of nutrients and water being supplied to leaves

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I've used this on small maple trees that kept coming back. A couple of cap's full just killed 'em instantly.

It would be my guess that a basketball size tree would take a few cups to do it.

I'm not gonna ask if it's your tree.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oops, wrong forum.
to many trees to cut down, I cut an acre of them & it's a mess. you cant move. I want to leave them up & let them rot in the air, I need sunlight on the ground . These trees tower over all the rest, these are quaking aspen & I have about a thousand of them. I will try the ax system,& spray with concentrate in a spray bottle.

If anybody can, move this to habitat forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
why do you want all the trees dead???

dont cut, if you cut them now you will have tons of aspen regeneration in the spring and you will have the problem all over again. if you cut in the spring you will get some regeneration but not as much.

do the Hack and Squirt, use a hatchet and make a one inch long cut into the tree about a quater inch deep,while the hatchet is still in the tree squirt roundup into the cut and remove the hatchet. do one 1" cut for ever inch of tree diameter.

this will kill the tree and all its roots, which if you would cut the roots wouldnt die and the roots would root sprout and cause lots of aspen regeneration.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Why not find a timber agent that would be interested in purchasing rather than waste all of the value and at the same time have the property cleared and leave brush for cover for rabit, grouse, or other huntable species? Surely a forester would be helpful and pile up debris if you make that a stipulation in your agreement. While they may be quaking aspen they still hold value for pulp wood. Which is what a lot of timber these days is cut for. Getting a few dollars for something is better than spending money to watch trees rot and become a hazzard as they stand.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ok, not sure I uderstand why you'd want to kill aspen. Most people, given your problem, would want to regenerate the stand by cutting them. Great for grouse and great for deer.

Think long and hard about killing them. You just may regret it.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I would think if they are as big as you say that they don't have much time left before they die on there own. They aren't very long lived.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have cut a acre or 2, I'll take some aspen re-gen, for grouse & brouse. The bulk of these trees are blocking sunlight for large area,s complete sidehill with 45-60' aspens, most are like a five gallon bucket with alot bigger & alot smaller. These are mixed in with some nice oaks & hickory's that would greatly benefit from the added sunlight. **HACK _N_ SQUIRT** it is.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was shut down from timbering because i do not have a highway occupancy permit for my driveway, I dont have 300' sight distance to my left (only about250') The twp shut me down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts