The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my 110s and 160s need to be under water or can i set within the defined creek bank sutch as root tangels from high water wash?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

have you looked at the recent thread in the trapping forum- lots of fun going on about the use of coni's again.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Why would you want to set in a dry watercourse when so many folks are running hounds, when you can set to the letter and intent of the law and not really worry about endangering hounds by doing so? Keystonepaul

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A. because it's legal; B. I'm doubtful your hound is digging around in a root tangle; C. there is NO WAY a hound is going to get its' head in a 110; D. there is VERY, VERY LITTLE chance your hound is going to get its' head in a 160. E. that's where the mink are.

I advocate safe, ethical and legal use of bodygrip traps. Setting little holes in root systems IN A WATERCOURSE is not endangering your dogs. I worry more about abandoned barb wire and my dog jumping over a treetop and impaling itself on a branch than traps.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
A.yep they are legal. B. he'd be in the root tangle for the same reason the mink would be cause you increased your chances by putting out some lure....., a 160 is 6 inches by 6 inches...... sometimes it's not about how many you can catch..... very little chance... you can decrease those odds further by setting in the water and if you've got a pocket in a root tangle you can effectively use a leghold right..... we can go round and round... just a difference of opinion. You think it's ok I don't some valid points in your arguement and mine enjoy your trapping season and good luck with your sets. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
957 Posts
not getting into a big debate but IF in your very very little chance my dog would get into your trap and it kills my dog you better pray I dont find out...nuff said

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
yotehunter74 said:
not getting into a big debate but IF in your very very little chance my dog would get into your trap and it kills my dog you better pray I dont find out...nuff said
Best way to curb that problem is control your dog. The man is doing his sportin legally.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Keystonepaul said:
Why would you want to set in a dry watercourse when so many folks are running hounds, when you can set to the letter and intent of the law and not really worry about endangering hounds by doing so? Keystonepaul

A hound buddy of mine just had a Fox hound killed on Saturday in an illegal bucket set. I run hounds on coyote and believe me if one dies I will find out who set the trap. The local WCO is investigating.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I care, I guess you either do not have dogs or common sense..... if you are running dogs on scent.... they will investigate a smell ... so are you saying that if i am running a hound on scent that i need to keep him on an 8 ft leash to "control my dog" to keep that from happening.... give me a break...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
trapmost said:
Does my 110s and 160s need to be under water or can i set within the defined creek bank sutch as root tangels from high water wash?
They do not have to be underwater...and YES you can set within the defined creek bank in the root tangles...

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i've tried to stick my walker's head in a 160(unset) and i could not do it,his head was too big.bob runs gps,s and their not going to fit either.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a shiba inu I run once in awhile and his head will fit in a 160 and even though it would be a super tight fit almost in a 110

1 - 14 of 14 Posts