The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to take a walk this evening on a few of the properties I regularly hunt, to do some turkey scouting, and look for some sheds. I almost always take my shotgun along with some turkey loads just in case I were to run across some groundhogs, which is pretty common, or a coyote, which has never happened before. I was about 200 yards into the second property walking in a brushy creek bottom, when I saw this girl about 20 yards in front of me digging at something in some thick briars. I immediately reacted, pulled up, and shot. She took 4 turkey loads at 20 yards through thick brush before she finally stopped moving, with the fourth shot being a 10 yard finishing headshot. Shes about a 40 lb female, and my first coyote kill. The funny thing is, I have never seen a coyote track or any coyote sign on this property, and I actually was just there two weeks ago in the snow, specifically hunting them. Guess sometimes its better to be lucky than good...

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She sure did. She was facing away on the first shot, so it was in her hind end, the second shot was probably on her front two legs. I saved my favorite federal flite control turkey load for last, and at 10 yards, that shot hit her like a slug, and tore a nice baseball sized hole right at the base of her head. Love those flite control wads.

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
Nice. Surprised you got that close without her catching you coming. She must have been really focused on whatever whe was digging.

Congrats on your first. May there be many more.

·
Premium Member
24,075 Posts
Congrats!! Kill em all

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah she must have been very focused, because the wind was blowing right to her, I had been walking down that trail for about 75 yards, and I wasnt wearing camo. Blue jeans and a long sleeved shirt...

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just picked up a box of turkey thug shells by federal. Ive been hearing a ton of great things, and since that was my last flite control, and I understand they stopped making them, Im gonna give those a shot. I think they have flite control wads too...Gotta get out and shoot some paper soon

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive been working on boiling and cleaning the skull, and boy you should have seen all of the #5 copper plated and lead shot that came out of it from the two types of turkey loads. Should have it cleaned and bleached by tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Ive been working on boiling and cleaning the skull, and boy you should have seen all of the #5 copper plated and lead shot that came out of it from the two types of turkey loads. Should have it cleaned and bleached by tomorrow evening.
I would buy some #4 buckshot also.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If she was bred in January, which is very possible, she would have very new pups and they wont make it long without her. It did appear as though she was nursing. I do carry #4 buck if Im specifcally targeting coyotes, but on this particular day I was hoping to just shoot a few groundhogs with some old turkey loads while out walking around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts