The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Santa dropped off an awesome Elusive Wildlife Kill Light 250 combo.... how did santa ever know? So what I am reaching out for, you folks who have these kits, would you mind sharing any tips you have acquired from your experiences with the kill lights?? Anything you ahve picked up in terms of charge time, battery life, the halo shield, etc....anything i should watch for or avoid?? Any experiences in the rain or extreme cold and the impact on battery life? any tips hints are appreciated. I will be taking the lights out hunting this weekend...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Get a monopod with a swivel head, make a T out of PVC piping, and mount your light to the monopod (there's a few older threads in this forum on how to do it exactly). And use the halo shield on it. Personally I have had bad luck with and hate the pressure switch for turning it on. I think they're unreliable. If you mount it on the monopod and use it for scanning the light will always be on and in front of you so you will never backlight yourself. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ted
I recommend if using the remote switch to remove the switch from the velcro before unscrewing the end cap to change battery. Also glue where wire enters the tailcap to keep it from twisting.

Good luck and hunt safe.
Jerry

·
Registered
721 Posts
ted4prez,

You should have gotten an instruction sheet in the bottom of the box that explains the battery charging of the Kill-Lights(If not please contact me and Ill email you a copy). I recommend not even using the wired switch as a wire is always a weak link and no amount of glue will stop damage if the wire catches on brush.. If you do choose to use it make sure to unhook the velcro from the weapon prior to trying to change a battery..
As for Halo Shields I sell a commercial version that I make for these lights as well as many other lights.
These lights will work down to at least -40 below zero. The whole light is o-ringed so rain is not an issue.
And I am a SPONSOR of this site so if you have any questions please feel free to use me as your contact for anything dealing with you Kill-Light..

Most of all Enjoy your Kill-Light and Merry Christmas!!

Jeremiah

·
Registered
675 Posts
If your mounting it on your scope take it to your local range at nite and adjust it to your scope. I don't recommend mounting it on the barrel because more often then not it will change your point of impact. If you do shoot it first. And yes spin the cord with the cap when changeling batteries. Or you risk damage to the wires. Yes, contact whiteknuckle with issues he really took care of me.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
buck colmen said:
If your mounting it on your scope take it to your local range at nite and adjust it to your scope. I don't recommend mounting it on the barrel because more often then not it will change your point of impact. If you do shoot it first. And yes spin the cord with the cap when changeling batteries. Or you risk damage to the wires. Yes, contact whiteknuckle with issues he really took care of me.
Why does it change your point of impact?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Anything that touches the barrel will screw up the barrels harmonics. Nothing should contact the barrel. Thats why all accurate rifles are free floated and the action is bedded.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Free floated? Bedded? That's Greek to me. What's that mean? I only know enough about guns to make them accurate enough for me to shoot fist sized groups at 100 yards, not shoot all the bullets in one hole.....

·
Registered
18,589 Posts
YZEATER said:
it could change the harmonics of the barrel. but i doubt you'd even notice.
I know some guys who mounted directly to the barrel and it did in fact change their POI. For others it didn't. The only way to know for sure is to shoot your rifle. A few inches can make a BIG difference.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have personally seen a light mounted to a bbl effect point of impact by as much as 11" at 100 yards.. Some guns it does and some it does not!! Only way to tell for sure is to check zero with light on bbl..

Jeremiah

·
Registered
721 Posts
I prefer mounting on top of scope as I do not like to have to waste ammo resighting my weapons in if I decide to take the light off a bbl.. If I wanted the light closer to bbl line then I would just have a picatinney (spelling) rail added to my forearm.. The only way I personally add a light to a bbl is on a shotgun..
I have never has an allignment problem by just using a rapid-mount on my scope.. I have shot predators from 5 yards to 227 yards with a red EWT Kill-Light mounted on my Cz with a rapid mount on a 3-9X40mm Nikon Prostaff..

Jeremiah

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeremiah - thank you for advise - I did get the info sheet with the kit.... I was just hoping that others might share their field experience tips,etc. For example, seeing your advice, and knowing the area i hunt, i will heed your advice to skip the pressure switch. Also appreciate the discussion about barrel mounting vs. scope mounting. Thanks everyone for your time.... happy hunting.

G

·
Thanks Jeremiah. I am thinking of tripod hunting for predators and the guy I have been hunting with has his mounted below the barrell. I have the mount I bought from you on my scope to mount my light. Just wondering if there is a good reason to mount on the barrell if tripod predator hunting vs. sitting in a seat. Appreciate your thoughts...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience Tripod hunting.. I have simplified my gear and you will not find me carrying another 10-20 lbs of gear into the field in the form of a tripod.

I dont believe inn mounting anything to a bbl unless it is a shotgun..

Jeremiah

G

·
Hi Jeremiah...I can understand where you are at...I was in the exact same spot as you. I resisted trying one and figured it was "stupid" to hunt with a tripod...who wants to carry a tripod into the field and stand when shooting, nuts! Heck...I've been at this a while and thought my system was very effective already. Well, I swallowed my pride/humility, opened my mind, and when one of my hunting partners showed up with a high quality tripod one night I agreed to give it a try. Wow was I wrong...they are awesome for predator hunting, especially the one I used. Hope to get one someday... Anyone out there who feels like Jeremiah does or I did, I recommend you give one a try if you get a chance and make up your own mind...you might be very surprised :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts