The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you kill a bear out of season if you thought it might harm you or your property?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I voted yes to this But I only would shoot if it was endangering a human or my dogs as for my other property it can be replaced and let the bear go

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I voted yes, but it would have to be chasing me or my family, or actually in the act of trashing my truck or other valuable property, and AFTER making an attempt to scare it off. I would NOT shoot it unless I knew exactly what it was and exactly what it was doing.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
I voted yes, but it would have to be chasing me or my family, or actually in the act of trashing my truck or other valuable property, and AFTER making an attempt to scare it off. I would NOT shoot it unless I knew exactly what it was and exactly what it was doing.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Just like everyone else said, i voted yes, only if it was endangering somebody.

·
6,669 Posts
quackmaster4 said:

·
Registered
942 Posts
I voted yes. The personal aspect is a no brainer for me. I don't care if it's a bear, dog, bigfoot, or a tree shrew, if they're going to hurt me or my family/loved ones, including my dog(I hold him in higher reguard than most people)I'm going to try my best to put some large holes in them.

As for the property though, I think it depends. If it tries to get into my house, no doubt. If it's digging in my garbage, absolutely not. Then there are some grey areas in between. Like tearing up my truck or car. Not sure if I can just stand by and watch that. Then there is always making noise, yelling, and as a last option, a warning shot. I think trying to deter the bear should be the first line of defense and in every incident I've ever heard of it worked. Killing ANYTHING in self defense is always a last resort when all other options are exhausted.

·
Registered
957 Posts
as above... a person or my dog you bet... property ... it would all depend ... house yes... truck maybe (probably) the rest of it... nope... and we have a ton of bears around my house ... never had a single problem other than the garbage once in a blue moon... and getting surprised when you walk outside and ole' blackie is in the yard and you didnt notice him.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
I voted "no" because I'm assuming we are talking about black bear in Pennsylvania...a grizzly bear would bring a different response.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Exactly

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
it would have to threaten my life or someones life in general for me to shoot it. Im not going to go out and shoot a bear just because it ripped through my trash like some would do

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
Glass half full/half empty. I voted no. Based on black bears in PA. Most charges by black bear are not intended to maul or kill a person, but to scare the intruder away. I would shoot a black bear out of season only, if I was convinced the bear was in fact going to cause bodily harm to another person or my dog.

·
Premium Member
24,059 Posts
Obviously, Yes...if harm to human life is imminent which is an extremely rare occurence.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am sure that any bear that would "allegedly" threaten a person or their property would be in reality just defending the encroachment of humans on their historical territory, and you should retreat from any confrontation with these gentle and wise creatures.

Besides, bears in Pennsylvania are notoriously cowardly, because the aggressive ones all got shot two hundred years ago. Our bears are pretty much wimps, even the big ones. It's natural selection, kinda.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I had a smallish bear out in back of my home, getting at my garbage one Sunday afternoon, and I decided to go out and chase it..The bear was like lightening, came for me and stopped about five feet away, and stood clawing at a tree, popping its teeth...Never expected that!.....I took that as my warning, if I were to go back after it again, it would've been with buckshot. Since the grand kids were not here, I just waited in the house until it left, and I never saw it again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts