The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 4 this year and I want to get him started with fishing. Does anyone know of any kids rodeos in the Chambersburg area? I want to take him somewhere where he would catch some and it would be more of a controlled environment to start with.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I think the Lions club in Chambersburg has a contest derby every year, but he's probably too young for that. I think its tagged fish in local waters.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know about the Lions club but your right he is too young for that. Plus its like a circus I try to avoid it at all costs;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If you want to take a ride, there is a great one every summer at the Mill Race golf club outside Benton. (Columbia County) The Fishing Creek Sportsmen put thousands of trout into the race pond, and its kids only. Every single kid gets a prize, and there is no junk, the prizes are donated and all nice stuff. You can camp at the golf course campground if you like. If you want to plan ahead, its one of the best in the state.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Fishingcreeksportsmanassn.org
I think the derby is always the first Sat in June.
Clair Harvey is still the president I think. You can also call the golf course, they will know the date.
570-925-2040

·
Registered
152 Posts
About an hour to your east on the other side of Adams Co. is a nice section of kids only trout fishing when it begins, around Latimore Valley Fairgrounds. I believe a quick search on P.F.B.C. site will get you more info. Always heard good things about this area, and the quantity of trout for the kids. From Chambersburg, Rt. 30 to route 234 on left past Mister Ed's, follow 234 till rt. 15 crossing, 15 North to Latimore Valley Fairgrounds on right after York Springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts