The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's on your key ring or chain? I have an deer antler that I used to plug a guys gas tank when he punctured his tank way back in the woods. He returned it. I have an elk tooth. An old miners tag I found at a derailment. A trap tag and a micro lock. Leatherman mini tool. House and truck key. And my RR switch key (my original brass one is put away)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Each miner that went under ground took his tag with him. At the end of the shift they placed their tag back on the board. If a tag was missing it indicated the miner was still in the mine. I found this one at a coal train derailment where there were thousands of tons of coal spilled. Luck I guess.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Just keys...house... basement... hitch...boat trailer....fob...and SUV key... almost forgot...a clip for my belt loop...and a small chain link (the kind you can screw together)...it makes it easier to find my house key in the dark.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Bottle opener, keys for three houses and three vehicles and my Mathews Solocam medallion
Not to mention those little plastic scan things...

·
Super Moderator
6,243 Posts
Each miner that went under ground took his tag with him. At the end of the shift they placed their tag back on the board. If a tag was missing it indicated the miner was still in the mine. I found this one at a coal train derailment where there were thousands of tons of coal spilled. Luck I guess.
View attachment 170361
View attachment 170362
For my last 31 years I worked, I was #20. Same number as my Grandfather in the 1930’s.

You also had a brass tag with your name and SS number stamped on it. It was riveted to your belt. Back in the day, when mines blew up from dust/ methane explosions, the tag would help sort out who was who when they finally recovered bodies. I have a couple of those belt tags laying around somewhere.

Your check in/out number also served another purpose, 70+ years ago. When you hand loaded coal, you carried a half dozen of your tags with you underground. When you shoveled a car full, you hung your tag on the front of the car. When the cars made it to the tipple outside, a check weighman would weigh you car, and record your number in his book. He’d also note if the car contained slate or other rock, if it did, you would be docked weight, sometimes the whole wagon would be subtracted. Check weighmen were crooks.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting stuff. I'd like to find the guy that lost this tag and return it.

·
Super Moderator
6,243 Posts

This key ring has gate keys for the properties I hunt. It also has the world‘s smallest shed antler. It’s smaller than a red oak acorn. I was dumping trout into the Black Moshannon and saw something in the water by my feet. The shed antler off a broken rack.

I keep a cheap knife on every key ring, including the boat, my quads and the vehicles. I win them at the ring toss games at carnivals in the summer. When I’m on my game, I can ring a knife with 30% of my tosses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts