The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just gave me a kerosene heater. I never used one before and I have two young children, 2 and 4. Are they safe? Is it ok for my children to be breathing the fumes? Debating on using this as a heat supplement. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,650 Posts
WE used 1 for a couple winters with no problems at all.Just don't bump it hard,it could shut off.Do not let it run out of fuel and shut off.That will cause smoke and nasty fumes.Don't fill it inside either.When we bought ours kerosene was $1.29/gal.PS:not a bad idea to get a carbon monoxide detector,can never be to safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
If it's in good burning condition you shouldn't smell it.
If it has any kero in it, burn it off out side to burn dry the wick to remove tar built up.
After its cooled , fill a a bit and test to make sure it dont need a wick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,935 Posts
pamusky said:
WE used 1 for a couple winters with no problems at all.Just don't bump it hard,it could shut off.Do not let it run out of fuel and shut off.That will cause smoke and nasty fumes.Don't fill it inside either.When we bought ours kerosene was $1.29/gal.PS:not a bad idea to get a carbon monoxide detector,can never be to safe.
Good advice. You may also want to keep a window cracked to keep some fresh air in the room. Only buy clear kerosene.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,265 Posts
We used them in my grad school house. The furnace was crap and the house was drafty, it really cut down on our fuel oil bills and made a room comfortable to sit in. They make stuff you add to the kerosene to make it smell better, came in cinnamon or vanilla.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,571 Posts
Mine only smells when I first start it or shut it down. I dont burn it when we are all sleeping, but if someone is awake, I'll use it when it is especially cold. Kerosene has become too expensive to burn all winter, it's probably cheaper to run the furnace at the higher temperatures.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,317 Posts
I used two kerosene heaters for years, one thing I noticed was that the round tall ker. heaters had less odor then the square ones. If you put compare the two you will see what I mean. My routine was when I was done heating I would carry the heater (still burning) outside and turn it off. When it was cool I would bring it back inside turn the wick back up. Too many fumes to turn off inside.

With young children there is more of a burn issue then fumes .
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top