The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure that this forum is the correct place to ask my question but I figured most people in tbis forum have CCP's and are very familar with this gun. I recently picked one of these guns up and was wondering if anyone knew where to get a pachmeyer (sp?) type grip for it? I'm not concerned with the actual brand just something that slips over the grip and fits the gun well and will make the gun a little easier to grip, (my hands are kinda large.) Also if anyone has any other accesories that they reccomend for this gun I'd like to hear about them. Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I have one and I wrap a few strong rubber bands around the grip just to add some "meet" to the thing, and improve the gripability. Watch out for impedaments to your draw routine with any grip enhancements.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I have an LCP(basically the same thing). You can add a Crimison Trace laser sight. I don't have one but the guys who do say good things about them.

I do have one of these pocket holsters that I really like.

http://pocketholsters.com/

WV Gino

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those lasers are cool but pricey, $169.00 is kinda steep. The owner of the gun shop where i picked mine up had a laser on his Kel-Tec and it was really slick, jsut point and shoot. not much guess work involved.

I like that holster a lot too...i might have to invest in one. thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
kel-tec makes a clip for on the side of that gun so you can carry it inside the belt, pants pocket or inside jacket pocket without a holster.check their web site for accessories and the owners group forum for reviews.i put a cheep slip on grip on mine and trimmed it to fit

·
Registered
25,649 Posts
I've seen the belt clips on their website. That's also where I got my extra mag from.

While I have a little clip-on padded cordura holster for the P3AT, that also has a pouch for the extra mag, usually just slip the little critter into a back pocket.

Crimson Trace laser grips are pretty useful, but I ain't gonna spend almost $200 to put a laser sight on a $250 pistol.

Will soon move this thread to the Shotgun/Handgun forum where it belongs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Armalaser.com sells the P3AT laser for 119.00
it is a little blockier that the CT, but it is built to take punishment, has 2 times the baterry life, and is fully adjustable.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
THanks for the info, Roland45!

That's a good deal! They are now coming with a FREE Desantis Holster!

I have been thinking about a laser sight for my kel-tec, but like Denny said- at $200 you are doubling the price of the gun when you consider the laser plus a new holster.

But I think at $119 plus a free holster is $ well spent!

·
Registered
25,649 Posts
You've spent far too much time around Hogan these past few years and the KelTec is but only one sign.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
LOL Denny! I think he gets commissions!

But seriously, you can't beat the size and weight of the thing. I don't even carry my 9mm anymore. The only thing I didn;t quite like about it was the sights. Adding the laser will fix that! And I like the fact that there is no button to squeeze to activate. It comes on automatically when the finger is on the trigger!

·
Registered
25,649 Posts
I thought the "lack" of sights might be a detriment, but it's basically a point and shoot pistol, so all it takes is some practice and basic pistolcraft, to master.

43 years ago I used to roll tin cans with my first handgun, a clunky H&R 22 revolver. Did that shooting "from the hip" and it was good practice for instinctive shooting.

Someone asked me how I could put a mag-full of 380 from the KelTec, into a few inches @ 7 and 15 yards, with a pistol that had them feeble little sights, during one of my early ranges sessions with the P3AT. Told them it's not so much a function of the sights, but more a function of learning how to shoot instinctly. It's an up-close personal defense pistol, not a target pistol, just like the snubnose M36 revolver I've carried for years. That little feller has even "worse" sights than the KelTec, but shoots just fine too.

In both cases, "better sights" would defeat the purpose of a concealable pistol that can quickly be brought to bear for self defense.

I'm not opposed to laser sights and they're very good, especially in low light conditions. Just haven't bought any yet and probably won't be buying any soon.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I hear you Denny. Just figured that laser only adds 2 oz. and makes it even easier to use.

Remember, I'm a compound guy..................I love all the gadgets!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for that link, I ended up buying that laser with the holster included. I knew you guys would have the knowledge and info i was looking for. Thanks very much to everyone.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Glad you started the thread! I will probably buy it in a week or 2 when I have the $.

Make sure ya let us know how you like it and how it works for ya!

In the meantime, I'm gonna get a couple of those grip extensions. They didn;t have those for the P3AT when I bought mine- thanks TUndragriz for the link!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Be careful with the rubbery grips for pocket carry. they tend to stick to your pocket lining. then they are hard to pul out of the pocket.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I wanted to report back on the laser site I got last night and installed, (from Armalaser.) The first complaint is that I only received 3 batteries and the kit is supposed to come with 4 which was dissapointing. I luckliy had an extra battery at home that I used.

The kit is fairly easy to install, but the fasteners could be better. The kit comes with allen head screws and I had one of them strip out on me, but they do include extra screws so it wasn't that big a deal. Once installed it's a little tricky to get the red dot sighted in. You have to loosen all the screws on the sight to adjust the laser beam but when you tighten them back up it causes the beam to move. So you really have to set the beam, then tighten the screws several times to see how the beam moves when the screws are tight. Overall I'm pleased with it for the price and I would reccomend it.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/bps120/0616090945a.jpg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts