The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about this sight,When im shooting down hill this sight is deadly but my question is when im hunting an area that is on a steep hill side the sight bottoms out on the steep hill side showing like im shooting about 30 yards but its only like 10 yards because of the hill will this shoot over a deers back or is this just part of shooting this sight??

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I'll tell you, I had this on a bow in the years past, and I hated it. Two different trips to the range, and it was just too complicated. Plus, the pin was rather large and bright white. It just wasn't what I thought it would be.

Very tough to get set up, and it's all metal and very large/heavy.

I didn't like mine one bit, but that's just me.

I know a guy who has been shooting one since the mid '90's/late '90's and absolutely loves it.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking about changing this year I have shot more than a few deer with this sight and I know we all miss but some of the misses im not sure if it was the sight because they are usuall on some kind of hill side,Im not going to stop hunting the hill sides because thats some of my better spots what sight is one of the better ones??

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
You really can't go wrong with pins...

I use an HHA. Small pins, ease of use. Small pins equlas deadly accuracy if you do your part.

And you'll lose alot of noise/vibration by getting rid of that keller.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thats what I was thinking I shoot a matthews and for some reason that sight never seemed to belong I just always liked the fact of not trying to guess yards or pull out a range finder when a deer is walking by,Two years ago on the first day of archery I went by my friends stang to go for lunch well I sat out in the field waiting for him to climb down and while I was sitting there a big doe comes walking by so I just sat there and watched her walk by I was on the ground and my keller was locked in from coming down so that sticks with me also

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Keller sight works fine if you are hunting level land. If not, then it is a guessing game.

Best archery lesson I ever got was from Dave Andrews of Andrews Archery in Frackville, PA. He changed my anchor point so that the string is in the middle of my nose.

If you do that, and bend from the waist when you shoot from a tree, you will find little difference in your point of impact whether shooting from the ground or from an elevated stand. You do this you really don't need the Keller, just use plain old pins. Makes things nice and simple.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
There are other pendulum sights out there that would suit you well... however, with todays bows, most guys are shooting one pin out to 30 yards due to the speeds todays bows are shooting. I know I do. I shoot mine on one pin out to 25.

Sight you pin in a little high at 15, be dead on at 20-22, and a tad low at 30.

But in terms of pendulum, a buddy of mine used several different kinds over the years, and had good luck. But the Keller was the bad apple out of the bunch.

I will personally never use a pendulum ever again. Never saw the woods with one, just the range and that was enough for me.

Good luck

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
I've used pendulums since the first Keller came out and I like them. You do have to hunt level ground however for them to work. There are much better ones than the Keller now though, I've been using a Trophy Ridge for several seasons and am thinking about getting a Summitt Hot Dot.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
BowMan 4 said:
I just always liked the fact of not trying to guess yards or pull out a range finder when a deer is walking by,
Do the ranging while there are no deer in the area.

I can climb a new tree, and have all my shooting lanes ranged and memorized in 5 minutes. I just range differant trees, and remember how far they are.

The angular compensating range finders are getting more and more inexpensive. I have never used one, but might get one next year.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The Keller is rather old technology (I'm not knocking as I've used one for years) with respect to the new versions of pendulums. Get a newer version and you do not have to worry about anything. I have the Trophy Ridge (1 pin) and you site it in at 20 yards. It's dead on out to over 30 from a tree. But you also do not even need the pendulum with a fast bow, because as Nuge stated these new bows are so fast that I just use it as a 1 pin and do not even need the pendulum. It's there if I want it, but I really don't need it. 1 pin is the way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a Trophy Ridge Mantis V Drive pendulum it is two sight in one .Get a good 25 yard mark and climb a tree
unlock it and your good out to 35 yards. Get on the the ground
and lock it in and you can move the sight from 20 yards and up. Great sigt but they stopped making them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have been using the savage pendulum sight for the last 8 years i have very good luck with it. Come to think of it i have shot 8 bucks with that sight, 7 in PA and 1 in OH. The pin is a little big at any distance over 30 yards but i don't ever shoot any farther than that. I have also thought about going to the summit hot dot but its electronic and have not had the greatest reviews. I used to shoot quite a few 3-d shoots with my pendulum and alot of it was uphill and downhill shots and i never had any issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.