The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure about everyone else but feeding the birds is getting expensive. last time i got feed at the feed mill it cost me about 50 dollars. that got me about 70 pounds of my mix that i use. black oil, striped sunflower, and cracked corn. birds really clean this up. so do the deer if they can reach the feeders. i get ear corn for them. hows everyone else doing?

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Yes sir I have a small galvanized trash can on my porch I give the birds a cup everyday, I mix a bag of wild mix and a bag of sunflower. plus throw out a few peanut for the squirrels.
My granddad use to tell me "Boy when you ain't shootin the critters you should be feedin them"

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Everything is getting more expencsive so, for me, it's a trade off: money buys me the pleasure of watching the birds. I just wish I could discurage the squirrels.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
atr said:
Yes sir I have a small galvanized trash can on my porch I give the birds a cup everyday, I mix a bag of wild mix and a bag of sunflower. plus throw out a few peanut for the squirrels.
My granddad use to tell me "Boy when you ain't shootin the critters you should be feedin them"
Did my part, I went Crow hunting today........

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I feed black sunflower seeds and thistle seeds and they are hiting it hard.

·
Registered
21,546 Posts
John S said:
I feed black sunflower seeds and thistle seeds and they are hiting it hard.
Same here. I noticed that when the government started pushing using corn to make ethanol, the pirce of sunflower seed went up. I used to pay about 20 bucks for a 50 pound bag. Now, it's about 26.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Black Oil Sunflower sunflower seeds for all the birds.

Shelled corn for the deer, turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
The birds here too are hitting the Black Sunflower seeds hard plus 2 or 3 squirrels. Also have some cakes out; the cakes used to be 99 cents, now they're around $1.20 or so, and they're also smaller than they used to be.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I feed black oil and thisle.A few years ago I was paying $ 12.00 for a 50 lb bag of black oil now its $23.00 for a 40 lb bag.As long as I can afford it I`ll keep feeding.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I bought 200 pounds of black sunflolwer seeds from a guy who sells it bulk at 40 cents per pound 200# min. Birds are really hitting it hard.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Bearclaw said:
The birds here too are hitting the Black Sunflower seeds hard plus 2 or 3 squirrels. Also have some cakes out; the cakes used to be 99 cents, now they're around $1.20 or so, and they're also smaller than they used to be.
If you have an ollies anywhere near you they are 89 cents and the woodpeckers love it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I bought a squirrel proof feeder at Lowes a couple of years ago, it really works well.

·
Registered
21,546 Posts
Bearclaw said:
Birds around here cant tell the difference between the cheap ones and the expensive, so I get the cheapies.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Aint put out feed yet. Fields are still vastly devoid of snow and it aint been cold yet.

Once things get frozen over and on ground feed is darn near impossible to get to, then I'll fill the feeders.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Tractor supply house brand of bird seed is reasonably priced and draws in a good mix of birds. I will mix in some sunflower seed with it, if i want to splurge. Suet cakes are $.99

1 - 20 of 23 Posts