The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought with this wx it would be nice to help others out with what you do to keep powder dry. i had problems today. i see that some ppl tape thier barrels or put cut glove fingers off and slip over barrel. for the pan I'm reading about wax on the frizzen to seal it? i could use some homemade suggestions here as wx looks damp

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This was the first year that I was unable to keep my gun dry. The wet snow was blowing sideways. The pan powder got wet even though I had a waterproof cover on it. It just kept snowing so much that I couldn't keep it dry.

I am thinking on making a lightweight waterproof full length cover. Anyway it was a good learning experience. I was also thinking about using plumbers putty around the pan and as a dam around the barrel/pan area. My TC lock gets wet alot easier than the L&R waterproof lock I have on the RMC. I wanted to hunt with roundball this season though. I use tape over the muzzle and a waterproof piece of leather over the lock. Still got a wet pan but the barrel charge was dry.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Something like Weldaheart I would check the pan powder from shooting often, I would dump the old out and put some new powder in the pan. Dumping came down to judgment. Somehow learned to judge by conditions of the day.
Used safety pins, used then for diapers, to clean and check the touch hole. One was with my possibles bag. Another was hooked onto a loop in the pants for easy access. Would use to clean out the touch hole after dumping the old powder. Would check the hole when old powder was still on the pan.
A system that worked good for me on cold, damp, snowy PA hunting days. The original powder of the day was great at clogging in the pan and touchhole. Never had a problem with the powder in the barrel.

·
Registered
818 Posts
1. Put a cow's knee (leather cover) over the lock.

2. Carry the gun in a full length case.

3. If you're hunting from a stand, don't put any powder in the pan until you see a deer approaching.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Cow's knee, and just change it every 30 minutes if need be. You can tell by looking at it. always sweep away from touchhole, and carry an extra priming flask or whatever you use.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Also helps to carry your gun with the lock in the crook of your arm (armpit) while walking and sitting

·
Registered
455 Posts
All of the suggestions above are good ones, especially the cow's knee. I used to have a ton of misfires before I got one of those. Now, hardly ever.

If you want to go an extra step to protect the powder in the barrel (especially important if you're still hunting rather than posting on a stand), some company is now selling a rubber (or maybe latex) cap that you can put over the end of the barrel and then just shoot right through when you fire. It's essentially just a large diameter balloon or...uh, well...a condom.

I suppose a Trojenz would do just fine too, but if you want to avoid trouble with the significant other, better to buy it at Gander Mountain than Walgreens.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Go to any pharmacy and get finger cots - the condom like finger covers for protecting wounds. They will stretch over you standard rifle or muzzy barrel. About $4 for a package of them.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Second option is making a soft grease to seal up the pan.

Use something like bore butter or similar commercial products - must be water resistant - and be workable in cold weather.

I attended the Dixon Muzzy Fair last summer. They had a Q&A demonstration. They showed how effective a bees wax and fat mixture was in sealing out water. They not only sprayed the lock with water and fired the rifle.

Made some last weekend. Bacon fat and bee's wax. No exact formula - just worked it until it was soft enough to work while cold, but not runny in warmer weather.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
They are a number of tricks to use. Using a wax crayon and coating the dry metal around the pan, under side of the frizzen and touch hole keeps moisture from seeping along the surface of the metal.

Sheltering the lock, either with a cow's knee, under your hunting frock, or poncho etc helps immensely. Wonder powder and Lycopodium powder when mixed with prime cause water to bead up and not soak in. Small amounts mixed with the prime in the pan do not affect sparking. In a driving rain, keeping the lock area under a poncho works.

Powder will absorb moisture from damp air and can become caked up even without being subjected to direct rain. Best thing to do is check it frequently. There is only so much that can be done when it is raining. Snow is easier to keep out.

If you intend to use a grease to seal the edges of the pan, make sure it doesn't "glue" your frizzen shut when cold.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Calf's knee but I made mine out of a piece of deer hide.Sewed a slight bend in it and sealed it up.
Unlike yesterday with the high winds,the tree umbrella works great.Carry in a case to your spot till you get it setup then crawl under.
Use FFFg instead of FFFFg and change often!
Take a toothbrush to clean the pan.Don't get your oils from your fingers on the frizzen or pan area.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol on cotton balls to clean my pan when it gets damp. Just scrape off the the clumped up powder, the alcohol evaporates fast.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Imagine tanning the leather that comes from a few inches above and below a cows knee, greased well and tied over the lock area of a flint rifle as a weather shield. the extra space under the leather knee cap accomodates the flint hammer and frizzen

Don't ask how the lakota made seamless tobacco pouches.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ive never seen those before. I guess im not real big into flintlock hunting. This is the first year ive bought a doe tag to hunt the late season in probably 5-6 years. Do they fit around the gun snug?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
brewyak said:
Also helps to carry your gun with the lock in the crook of your arm (armpit) while walking and sitting
thats how i have always carried mine. if i'am sitting, i cover the lock with my gloves. i also change the powder alot. never have any problems with mis fires.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts