The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the upcoming muzzleloader season and snow hopefully coming,just looking for some tips,how does everyone keep their powder dry?

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
There is a commercially sold compound to mix with primer powder to help keep it from becoming wet. Lycopodium powder used in Laboratories will do the same thing.

Draw a circle around the edges of the pan bottom of the frizzen and rub the barrel flat with a was crayon or piece of candle. It keeps water from seeping along the metal surfaces.

Then lastly a cows knee of lock cover that can be removed silently when game is sighted. usually made of oiled leather. Some of us keep our lock under the edge of a coat or vest when on stand.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I use a leather lock cover which I treat with mink oil or other repellent. If things get really wet out, I drape some kind of cloth or shammy overtop of my lock cover. Generally does the job. Oh, and i've taken a little duck tape and LOOSELY put over the end of the barrel. Like I said, LOOSELY, it's on enough to keep out the main water, but loose enough to blow off once shot. So far, so good and it's just as rewarding having your rifle go off at the end of a rainy/snowy day as it is shooting a deer. Always puts a smile on my face when she goes CHAAABOOOOOOOMM!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use this, 1 in a lb of 2f and 4f, Did not change poi and It works good in damp mornings.
Happy hunting
Stan

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when using the cows knee or leather lock cover,is it tyied on so it will not fall off or do you just set it over the lock?

·
Banned
900 Posts
Had mine made a leather shop in Blairsville Pa. It has a snap to keep it on and a small leather thong that I tie to the trigger guard. I had it made from a suede like leather that really light and pliable. When it's hanging from the trigger guard you really don't notice it.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I usually keep my pan tucked under my coat if its raining or snowing out, but even if its not and is just really cold/moist out I dump my pan powder out about every hour or so and refresh it with new. May be a powder waste at times, but I would rather waste a lil FFFF than waste a shot with wet powder!

·
Registered
773 Posts
PAkilla86 said:
I usually keep my pan tucked under my coat if its raining or snowing out, but even if its not and is just really cold/moist out I dump my pan powder out about every hour or so and refresh it with new. May be a powder waste at times, but I would rather waste a lil FFFF than waste a shot with wet powder!
Same here. Since my gun is never leaning against a tree and is always in my hand, I keep my hand over it to ensure It is dry, but swapping out for good powder is a safe bet and cheap method for me too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I use a lock cover made by Leatherman, but I still change priming powder occasionally.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Believe it or not, I put a smear of chapstick around the bottom of the frizzen before I close it. I also put a small piece of duct tape over the end of the barrel, not wrapped over the sides, but just the width of the barrrel. I shoot right through it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hunterisme said:
PAkilla86 said:
Same here. Since my gun is never leaning against a tree and is always in my hand, I keep my hand over it to ensure It is dry, but swapping out for good powder is a safe bet and cheap method for me too.
I change frizzen powder often also.I have one of those necklace type things that people use to carry keys or access cards around their neck to carry my powder dispenser so it's always close by to remind me.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
If I'm sitting most of the day,I'll carry it to the spot in a gun case.After I put up the tree umbrella I'll crawl under and unzip and prime.
If I'm walking,I use a leather cover with Mink Oil on the outside drapped over the lock and barrel pointed down.
Have found the plastic cover trap moisture under them.I also don't carry the lock under my arm pit as lots of moisture trapped there also.
FFFg instead of FFFFg also helps in the pan.Change often according to dampness and carry a shortened tooth brush to brush out the pan.Large paper clip to pick out the touch hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I change flashpan powder often and also use small tube of super lube greese to make a "gasket" around the pan before I close the frizzen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If its snowing then i carry a rag over my lock and keep it under my arm. If its raining then i take it in the case to the spot. And as everyones saying, dump your powder every half hour. That "click" is the worst sound in the world.... hahahaha

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have a nice leather Cow's knee that snaps on the bottom.
If I am walking I keep the lock under my arm.
Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
I saw somewhere that you can make a cows knee out of chamois cloth and sno seal. I don't remember the details but cut the chamois to size and coat it with sno seal, then they put it in a low temp oven to cure it. I'm sure you could google it.
We always took a ziploc sandwich baggie, slit one side from the edge of the "zipper" to the bottom. The put the baggie over the lock with the slit side around the wrist of the gun. Zip the zipper part to secure it in place. It fits pretty tight and when a deer comes past ya just pull it off.... Change powder a lot and clean out that touch hole..!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I took the neoprene cover from an old rangefinder, cut it, and stitched some velcro on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts