The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been brought up before but since I have a short memory, I have to ask.
How does everyone attempt to keep it dry not only if it's raining or snowing, but even on those high humidity damp days. I try to keep a plastic bag around the pan but it doesn't help the powder in the barrel. I have to keep changing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Look for A "cows Knee" on the internet or Cabela's. They work when raining or snowing.

Don

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ruffy;

Scroll down on this forum and find Pic's of Lock covers thread. Make it out of a fresh piece of car wash chamois leather (pick one up at Wal-mart) because it's treated with something that makes it pliable; use Sno-seal boot dressing (made with beeswax). Spend the 10 bucks and make it; you won't be sorry. Also tape the end of your muzzle with electricians tape to keep out water and snow from your barrel. It's a good idea to do it even when it's dry out to keep stuff from getting in your barrel that can ruin it when fired. Don't use substitute materials for the lock cover I am telling you about; it won't be the same.

Make one; and then tell me how you like it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm assuming Mossie that if you keep it tight, you can still use the sights? Also, can I ssume that there is no interference with the hammer meeting the frizzen?

BTW, I never thought of the electricians tape. This is why I love this sight !

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Put a balloon over the barrel---shoot right through it----

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
LOL MM!! Dont tempt bunky...he's lookin for any edge he can get to put one in the freezer!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Used a small piece of leather to cover over the frizzen. And I'd keep the barrel slightly downward. On cold damp days, would pour out the powder from the frizzen and put in new powder. It tended to cake, if left too long. Would use a safety pin to keep the touch hole open. Sometimes it was the small things that could kill a shot.

Shot a deer in a one foot snowfall, one PA December.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have the same one. Don't rely soley on them in damp weather, in my opinion. Moisture in the air will still get in. Cover the muzzle with a ballon, as someone suggested (condoms also work but are more expensive!). Change the powder in your pan <u>often</u>. Be careful of water dripping off your coat, sleeve, or hat when you do. Be especially careful of moisture drips on the touch hole. You get moisture in there, your day's hunt is over.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I personally like purple, yellow, or mmmmmm flor. orange???

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bunky said:

LOL Bunky!! Good choice! Will help find ya when you get hung-up in the briars durin our Late Season Hunt!! Just stik that 54 cal Dickert up in the air & we will find ya!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I must say at 60 plus inches the Dickert 54 cal is one long gun! The flor. orange will most surely stand out!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Loggy said:
Bunky said:

LOL Bunky!! Good choice! Will help find ya when you get hung-up in the briars durin our Late Season Hunt!! Just stik that 54 cal Dickert up in the air & we will find ya!!
Just watch this year there will be a big sale on glow in the dark all the kids will have to do with out
because the Muzzle loader hunters got them all and you will see thousands of glowing muzzle leaders every mornings .
We might have started something here .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts