The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been debating about taking our camper up to the property for the remainder of the hunting season for a camp, the problem is when I took our pop-up there a couple years ago the mice had an absolute feild day in there, to the point no one would go in it anyway.

Now we have a 26' camper with one slide-out and man would it be nice to go on Friday nights and hunt from it, but we (Mrs and I both) are worried that the mice will once again get in there eventhough this time it won;t be pulled back into the woods very far.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to keep mice from wanting to get into the camper ? I suggested leaving our cat up there but the Mrs. vetoed it.

2. Do you think the camper will be more mouse proof than the pop-up?

Other than leaving no food in there while we are gone, any other tips?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Don't think food has much to do with it, I can't keep them out of my vehicles and tractor engines. They love making nests out of that sound dampening material under the hood and in the firewall. When I started the car yesterday I had the door open and one ran out. Mid summer a friend bought a camper from Meshoppen and brought it home. Got a call from him to come and identify a very big snake they found inside. When I got there they had already killed the 65" black rat snake, but I doubt there were any mice in it. Maybe a pet snake!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I've been looking for tips on mouse proofing my RV also.
Everything I've read so far say's to seal up the openings where your drains and gas pipe come through the floor with steel wool or expansion foam. My RV came with a thermal package so the manufacturer already has those areas sealed. I'm sure they'll find another way in.

Living back in the woods, it's hard enough to keep them out of the house. :2gunsfiring:

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Just put some rat poison around.

Plus, with all the yotes in your area, how can you even have mice on the hill? LOL

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the responses, sounds like a dice roll. I do not think my camper is sealed like that however it may be worth a climb under to see what is under there as far as entrances.

Dutch I think the yotes let the mice live, just to tick me off and keep me from really enjoying their hill.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Mice are a big issue for campers and cabins when nobody is there all the time. I don't think you can keep them completely out.

About the only thing I might try is one or two of those electronic pest control devices. But, they require electricity.

Poison is always an option, but I don't like the aftermath of dead mice laying around hidden in corners, stuck in walls, and under furniture rotting away. Followed by the darn mega flys that hatch out from the maggots.

Sticky pads under the trailer set on a bunch of boards will probably help, but then you still have all those dead mice stuck to the boards under the trailer, plus other small critters, and the occasional possum or small animal that steps in a sticky and goes bonkers.

I have an old house at my property. I gave up on it. Between the mice and the snakes, and the flies and the groundhogs and squirrels and the wasps.. it was just too hard to keep it habitable. When the wasps got bad, I would set off one of the those cans of bug killer when I left for the weekend. When I came back the next, the wasps were under control but the house was littered with dead mice and the flies. I guess either the bug bomb also killed the mice, or the mice died from eating the poisoned wasps??

After the house, we parked the camper. same problems.

Oh, one of the funny things about the electronic mouse devices, I took my Grandson with me one day and while sitting in the camper he said to me: "Pop, can you turn that thing off?" I said what thing? He said that thing that is making that squealing noise..

He could hear the electronic mouse device's high pitched squeal..

If you can figure out a way to keep the mice out of your camper, patent it.. you will be a rich man.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I stopped using the rat/mouse poison. I think it attracts them into the house and they don't always die outside. I often found the pellets stashed under my wood pile tarps 100 feet away from the house. If you want to use poison the bars are a better choice, but you still get the stink and the flies from the ones that die inside.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A trick we use up north is to get a cheap box of dryer sheets and just a sheet in each cabinet & drawer. You will be amazed how well it works and it is cheap when you buy them at Dollar General... Ancient Chinese secret - don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read about the dryer sheets after doing a google search. So you are saying this works?

No way i can use moth balls, i cannot stand the smell myself...LOL

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
RB-HPA said:
I read about the dryer sheets after doing a google search. So you are saying this works?

No way i can use moth balls, i cannot stand the smell myself...LOL
Besides you have to catch about a thousand moths...

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
RB- Speaking about mothballs, they work , I put some in my basement , went down last week and collected them, put them back in the box, cant stand the smell either, o.k. for my lawnmower storage shed....I used the bounce sheets for a number of things, just something else for them now.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
RB, surprisingly it makes a huge difference, now it does not get rid of them totally but great in drawers with cloths, they no longer go in and make nest there, i keep the dryer sheets in my boots i leave up there, no mice and then put the sheets throughout the house, Triple play and i are good friends and it has helped immensely at both camps and in my camper. We also have another thing i use at camp which is 5 gallon bucket with handle, take handle off & put soda can on it with peanut butter, two boards holding handle upright and so can can spin, then 2 inches of antifreeze in bucket, they get up fall in and antifreeze keeps the dead smell down to nothing amazingly but i'm talking only 4 weeks at max

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good stuff guys, Thanks!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
RAM Outdoor said:
We also have another thing i use at camp which is 5 gallon bucket with handle, take handle off & put soda can on it with peanut butter, two boards holding handle upright and so can can spin, then 2 inches of antifreeze in bucket, they get up fall in and antifreeze keeps the dead smell down to nothing amazingly but i'm talking only 4 weeks at max
I've reead that somewhere else, maybe the game news. I second the moth balls. But the smell can be annoying.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
RAM Outdoor said:
We also have another thing i use at camp which is 5 gallon bucket with handle, take handle off & put soda can on it with peanut butter, two boards holding handle upright and so can can spin, then 2 inches of antifreeze in bucket, they get up fall in and antifreeze keeps the dead smell down to nothing amazingly but i'm talking only 4 weeks at max
I've reead that somewhere else, maybe the game news. I second the moth balls. But the smell can be annoying.
The bucket trick was from the 80`s in Fur-Fish-Game magazine. Great magazine, not sure if it is still out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts