The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being out in the snow this morning, I tore down my Traditions MZ when I got home. I was surprised to see the amount of surface rust on the metal parts of the lock. I scrubbed them with CLP and a brass brush. Right now I have them in a container with a good amount of CLP. I'll finish cleaning them in a while and reassemble the rifle.

Other than making sure they are coated with a good oil and tearing down the rifle under conditions like today, any other advice?

I've been in rain and snow with my bolt action rifles and never saw them develope rust so fast.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The cheaper quality metals always rust faster..You need to tear your gun down more often...At the end of the season put alot of grease on it...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exterior. I wiped all the metal down yesterday, like I usually do after hunting. But with all the snow today, from the time I got back to my vehicle, drove home and went to wipe the rifle down, I found the surface rust.

It was just light, but I was surprised at how fast it showed up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Before going out on a rainy day, heat the gun up with a hairdryer. Please make sure its not loaded. After its heated use your oil/grease on it. Heating the metal opens up the pores and gets the oil and grease deep in the metal. You will see a difference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
After hunting in wet weather hang the gun by a good wood or coal stove, over a radiator or a heating vent. It will thoroughly dry it out, inside and out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the past thirty years I've used a light coat of Hoppes #9 gun grease rubbed on with a soft rag. Doesn't rub off or volatize as easily as oil. As long as I clean / dry / reapply between outings, I haven't had a problem yet on any of my blued or browned firearms.

It's sometimes hard to find and I got the last tube at Trader Horn here in Western PA. See Midway also sells it on the web.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts