The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys that have kayaks. Do you just have a launch permit on them, or do you have it registered like a boat? I was told that if you just have the launch permit there are some places that you must buy an additional launch permit. Bt if you have it registered like a boat you dont need to buy the extra ones. They are both the same price. I was just wondering. My wife and I ordered kayaks yesterday and are very excited to go out. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
My understanding is that registration is just for motorized boats.

A PFC launch permit is all we have on ours. I believe they are good both at state parks and PFC launches. And vice versa state park permits are also good at PFC launches.

Unless you have a motor or are lauching/taking out at a private marina or something I can;t see needing another permit.

Disclosure: Then again we live right on the river and our backyard is usually our launch or take out point and we seldom use public launches anymore...so my understanding may have rusted.

ENJOY YOUR KAYAKS!!! we love ours! If you are ever flaoting the upper Allegheny in Warren County...wave

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a couple army core of engineer lakes (i think thats what they are called) around that my friends go on and needed additional ones. I think they said there is one in Curwensville, PA? There is a unpowered section in the boat for boat registration. Just not sure what to do.

THanks RB-HPA

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
As far as I know as long as you are unpowered then the launch permit is good anywhere - PFBC property, State Park or AOE lake - You may need a use permit from the AOE, but it is more to use the park than the lake. Blue Marsh(AOE lake) here in the SE is like that. You pay to get in(use AOE property) if you go up the road to the PFBC launch then you don't pay to get in(you do still need the launch permit no matter which you use)

·
Registered
519 Posts
i know i needed a permit to put in and take out at any fish commission ran property, even if i put in at the house and take out at goldsboro i need that sticker!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just a launch permit if all you have is a unmotored vessel to use any PFBC property, State Park. As for AOE you would need a permit to use there launch and park no matter if you have a launch permit or registration. That is how I've been told. I've never had a problem. Have fun with the new kayaks!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
All you need is the launch permit. If you want to leave your boat moored at a State body of water that allows it, some also have a Mooring permit you must purchase, but not all of them. Years ago I left a small boat Moored at Rose Valley Lake. I could leave work and be fishing in about 20 minutes !

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Do they consider an electric motor as a "motor" to require registration or just gas motors? Thank guys.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Agreed. ANY motor requires registration. Its not expensive at all, and it beats the daylight out of rowing !

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Good info fellas. I appreciate that. If I get a kayak I will remember and probably just register it

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Actually it is different. If you register it like any other boat you need to buy and stick the issued numbers on the hull and you also need to carry the registration card at all times.
With just a launch permit you slap the little rectangle sticker (DCNR) just aft of midship on the starboard side and that's it, no numbers & letter stickers or card to carry and worry about keeping dry.

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
Display the number and validation decal on the bow of the boat as shown above. No other number may be displayed on either side of the bow. These numbers may not be removed, altered, tampered with or defaced, except by the owner or representative. Documented vessels, as well as kayaks, sculls, sailboards and other low-volume boats of similar design, are exempt from the display of numbers, but they must display the validation decal. Inflatable boats may carry their numbers and validation decal on boards lashed to each side of the bow. Canoes are not exempt and must display the numbers and the decal. WATERS OF PRINCIPLE USE Vessels must be registered in the
http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/chap2_07_number.htm

Just need the sticker for kayaks....But you will need to carry the registration card.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Thanks for the info Sig, I did not know kayaks were exempt but as you stated you still need to carry the registration card while paddling.

Another downside to registering is when buying or selling you need to transfer the registration, that is not needed (or extra fee) with a launch permit.

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
I looked into registering with my last WW kayak and what turned me off to the idea, even without the numbers, was the hull sticker location. On my kayak it'll be underwater as much as it's above water so I had some concerns if it would survive 2 years. Pretty much the same for the registration card.

Just an FYI....It's my understanding the PFBC has approached the legislature about changing the laws to require registration for kayaks and such because they get money back from the USCG for every registration they process.

I never heard if it was gaining any traction with the legislators.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes I heard that also. I sure hope that never happens. I would rather pay extra for a license or something else.
The launch permits are already a pathetic money making excuse. None of the other states I've paddled require anything for a unpowered small watercraft. I don't mind paying for a launch permit, and it isn't cheap when you have 12, as long as there are launches and access areas to use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts