The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a NY resident but frequent Pa waters, from my understanding I need a registration for state parks? what is the difference between a registration and an access pass? besides cost. I just wanna be legal wherever I venture.

·
Registered
24,864 Posts
Dan, for a kayak you just need a launch permit from Pa F&B or buy one from the State park You don not have to register a kayak but you need the permit

Just got one from Coopers Sporting goods in Mansfield... $19.00 for two years... They expire 12/31 (calendar year)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
registration is required for motorized boats(including electric motors).

launch permits are required on non motorized boats(rowboats,canoes,yaks,inflatables{some special rules on these}and paddleboards.

You do not need both one or the other will work. You must have the required safety gear for the vessel you are in/on. Also most states will honor home state registrations - not sure about the launch permits. Also some places may have an additional fee/permit to launch(county parks)

·
Registered
24,864 Posts
LAUNCH PERMITS
Owners of unpowered boats (canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, rowboats, etc.) can launch their boats at PFBC lakes and access areas or Pennsylvania state parks if their boats display a PFBC launch use permit, OR boat registration, OR Pennsylvania State Parks launch permit OR mooring permit. Pennsylvania State Parks recognizes PFBC boat registrations and launch permits. The Commission does NOT recognize launch permits from other states. A PFBC launch permit can be purchased online at the Commission’s website. An unpowered boat may have a registration OR launch permit, but is not required to have both

http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/chap2_08_launch.htm

From dcnr

Boating: electric motors only
The 75-acre Stephen Foster Lake has a boat launch, courtesy dock, restroom and parking on the northern shore. Mooring spaces can be rented on a seasonal basis. Adjacent to the causeway, boat rentals are available during the summer season from a concessionaire.

Please wear your personal flotation devices while boating.

Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Complete information on boating rules and regulations in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listing of agents selling launch permits: http://fishandboat.com/brag/aa_usepermits.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. I didn't understand the difference, and apparently there really isn't one. just pick 1 or the other.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think they should be made available to buy in more places.I am heading up to my camp in Tionesta thurs.afternoon.My kayak is up there with an expired launch permit.I have a 3 day weekend and I can't even get on the water! That [censored]!Does anybody know a place I can buy one between Pittsburgh and Tionesta on the way up? I know they can probably be bought and printed on line,but my printer is down.
Bob

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
There is a kayak shop on rt 8 in butler that sells the permit.

It's called wind and waves or something like that.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I brought my kayak home from camp this past weekend. Went to 5 different places looking for a launch permit! 2 up in Tionesta,1 on my way home,and 2 around home yesterday.All 5 places were out of stickers! So I ordered one on line today.I have no idea how long it will take in the mail. A printable temporary permit was downloaded to my computer,but
I don't have a working printer.Could I get away with writing the permit number on a piece of paper and carrying it with me when I am kayaking? Any PFBC employees on here that can give me an answer?

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Save the temporary permit pdf to a thumb drive and print it on your neighbor's, friend's, or family's printer, or run it to Staples to print if you have to. It takes a week or two to receive the stickers by mail.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Never did get my temporary launch permit printed.Kids said they didn't know how to do it! Still waiting for my stickers to come in the mail. Ordered with credit card on the 16th! I coulda WALKED to Harrisburg and got it faster than this! Don't mind me,just venting.

Bob

·
Registered
24,864 Posts
Fishing Pole said:
Do I only need a launch permit if I use a PFBC launch site?
LAUNCH PERMITS
Owners of unpowered boats (canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, rowboats, etc.) can launch their boats at PFBC lakes and access areas or Pennsylvania state parks if their boats display a PFBC launch use permit, OR boat registration, OR Pennsylvania State Parks launch permit OR mooring permit. Pennsylvania State Parks recognizes PFBC boat registrations and launch permits. The Commission does NOT recognize launch permits from other states. A PFBC launch permit can be purchased online at the Commission’s website. An unpowered boat may have a registration OR launch permit, but is not required to have both.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I talked to a lady at the County Parks and Recreation the other day and she told me for a non powered vessel on a park lake in the County I would need a launch permit for the lake in the County I was gonna use and still need the Pa.registration.I was callin for friend that wanted to bring a Canoe and some Kayaks down to my local County Park.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just an FYI I got this back from PFBC today. Might help the out of state guys.

As long as you have current Ohio registrations, then you are good to go. There is no need to buy PA launch permits.

Happy Paddling!!

PFBC NW Staff

1 - 20 of 27 Posts