The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with a 45/70 Katahdin bbl. and really like the way it shoots, so I'm thinking of making one or two of my own from a couple of bbls I have. Before I get hammered about muzzle blast and losing accuracy,not worried about long range accuracy, As for muzzle blast, I shoot a prohunter in 338 win mag w/muzzle brake and their 416 rigby that is ported. I was wondering if any body has shot or owned a short bbl in either 375 H&H mag or 300 Win Mag maybe 20 to 22 inch ?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I read recently if the caliber is slow like the 35 Whelen then shortening the barrel has little impact on accuracy. However if the bullet is fast???? When you shorten the barrel then accuracy is impacted..They used an example of a 264 Win Mag that you could not shorten that calibers barrel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I ask where you read this ? I am more interested in doing my 375 H&H bbl more than the 300 win mag. I see guys shooting 30/06 in 15 inch bbls I was just thinking it might be fun to shoot a 20 inch 375 and maybe 300 also.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
In my 30 some years of being a self proclaimed gun nut I have never heard that barrel lenght only effects velocity on less than .358 diameter bore. I only have ever heard when ballistics are published it is from "test barrels" for revolvers its 6" magnum rifles it is 26" non magnum rifles its 24" and with those standards for every inch of barrel you decrease from standard reduce velocity by 25fps and +1 inch = +25fps. irregardless of friction loss which is another topic. accuracy is not effected however with a shorter barrel such as a snubbie -vs- a 8 3/8 barrel you have a shorter sight radius which makes shooting the particual gun more difficult to shoot accuratly.

I have a 20" 350 rem mag and good I still get velocitys from it, could be faster with same charge if I had a 24 incher but the gun is still very accurate.
has anyone seen Bob Munden shoot his 38 snubbie at 300 yards? it can be done but not by me I dont have the skills, in the peice that I seen that he was shooting his snubbie long distance he explained what I said above, I think he knows alot more than me so I'll belive him.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
verminator said:
Can I ask where you read this ? I am more interested in doing my 375 H&H bbl more than the 300 win mag. I see guys shooting 30/06 in 15 inch bbls I was just thinking it might be fun to shoot a 20 inch 375 and maybe 300 also.

Sorry let me correct myself: For every inch that is removed from a barrel such as the 264 WIN MAG you lose 100 FPS of velocity not accuracy..So your OK since velocity is only lost.. If thats not a problem for you then chop her off.
700 Varminter was correct.

I will post the name and authors of the book as soon as I get my hands on it today...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,I think we are going to take the 300 down to 22 and put my brake back on should end up around 24 the 375 H&H down to 17 or 18 then the brake or just port it like the 416 either way should be a blast to shoot. No pun intended

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I would love to have a Katahdin barrel in .350 Rem Mag to use 3 days/year(Bear Season). It would be a pleasure crawling thru the swamps with it!!!

Dave

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
uncle buck said:
verminator said:

Sorry let me correct myself: For every inch that is removed from a barrel such as the 264 WIN MAG you lose 100 FPS of velocity not accuracy..So your OK since velocity is only lost.. If thats not a problem for you then chop her off.
700 Varminter was correct.

I will post the name and authors of the book as soon as I get my hands on it today...

Name of the book is: Modern Sporting Rifle Cartridges written by Wayne Van Zwoll. Publisher is Stoeger Publishing Company. Chapter 4 Barrels and Rifling Page 38.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts