The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Kansas trip, need feedback

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  HNTRDAVE 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to hunt Kansas this fall. I have until end of April to apply for a tag. My problem is I really don't want to have to pay airfare, then rent a vehicle . Am I crazy for thinking about driving? If I drive I can have my climber stand and lock on stands with me. There is no outfitter fees I'm paying only for my license and permit costs and food. Anybody know the price of round trip from Philly to Denver? Any feedback would be great! Thanks

#2 ·
We drove out there turkey hunting a couple years ago. We rented a vehicle between 4 of us. If memory serves me correct it was about 1000 bucks between all of us for gas. You want some company? I got a truck, trailer, stands, and we can split the gas. lol.

#4 ·
I guess it depends how far into Kansas you are hunting. I am hunting Iowa this fall(if I draw ) and am planning on driving. I am expecting it to cost me around $500 just for gas money round trip. I was thinking about flying and renting too, but I just don't think it would benefit me that much with all of the gear I am planning on bringing. I am not about to go all of the way to Iowa and not have something that I need for my hunt. So I basically scrapped the whole idea of flying. If you did have a partner to go with you then you are instantly cutting your cost of gas in half.

#5 ·
Thanks all! It is western Kansas, my friend hunted there this past season, flew into Denver, rented a car and drove into Kansas. If it was my land I would ask my HPA folks to join me! I really like the idea of having all my stands and gear with me in my truck. I have till late April to decide. Thanks all! Keep the feedback rolling!

#6 ·
I would drive so you can have more of your stuff. I lived in Cheney Ks west of Wichita and drove several times from Pa. to Kansas. My wife even drove by herself with the kids round trip just to be home in Pa for the holidays. Goodluck and hope to see some Kansas antler posted this fall.

#7 ·
I drove down twice this past year. Once to deer hunt and then back to run bobcats. Cost about $600 both trips for gas. Takes about 20 hrs to get where we hunt. It can get monotonous but I hate flying and can take more gear when driving.

#8 ·
HNTRDAVE said:
I have an opportunity to hunt Kansas this fall. I have until end of April to apply for a tag. My problem is I really don't want to have to pay airfare, then rent a vehicle . Am I crazy for thinking about driving? If I drive I can have my climber stand and lock on stands with me. There is no outfitter fees I'm paying only for my license and permit costs and food. Anybody know the price of round trip from Philly to Denver? Any feedback would be great! Thanks
Don't know how many trees for find for a climbing stand in western Kansas but ya never know.

#14 ·
Pittsburgh to Albuquerque was $178 roundtrip last year. 4 hour plane ride one way.

Alot of guys ship greyhound and say it's cheap. People say $40-50 one way. We shipped 45 pounds each of gear UPS and I believe it was 90 each or so one way.

#15 ·
Kansas just went full crossbow inclusion two days ago so I am also looking st opportunities here. Buddy of mine has been doing the trip for a few years now. Has a private cattle ranch that he hunts but the rancher got into the outfitting business and it is not so cheap any longer.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.