The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for maybe arrowhead???? Wonder what my axiom with victory shafts is shooting? What do you think the new 380 would shoot with same 20" victory shaft. The shafts have 3" fusion with 110 brass insert I think. Got the arrows from arrowhead. thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Arrowhead can tell you for sure but I would guess your Axiom about 285 and a Matrix380 about 360. Will see how close I am.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
The one thing is the Victory shafts will not shoot well in the 380, because they don't have enough spine. I wish they did because the Victory is what I use in my Vortex. Arrowhead has a good combo with the GT IV's though. I think they are the same price as the Victory's are, but he can verify that.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
cspot said:
The one thing is the Victory shafts will not shoot well in the 380, because they don't have enough spine. I wish they did because the Victory is what I use in my Vortex.
Yep. This was something that I suspected when the Matrix debuted. This bow will need a very stiff arrow to shoot to its potential. Its acceleration cycle is so abrupt and the draw weight so high that it will be very finicky with arrows.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can be tamed though right? I would hate buy this xbow and have a horrible time shooting it acurately.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Yes it can be tamed but will be more finicky with arrows than the axiom. This is true with any crossbow when you increase speed. Arrowhead did some testing with mine (see thread below) and came up with the GT IV's work well in it. These arrows weigh about 506 grains with a 150 grain head, so I would guess that decreases the speed down to probably 320 to 330 FPS? This is just a guess since I don't have a chronograph. I believe that Arrowhead had good luck with these as well with 100 grain heads. I am shooting 150 grain since I have a bunch of 150 grain broadheads and am not worried abou the loss of speed. I have always liked a heavy arrow anyway.

You need to get your hands on the Matrix when you get a chance. It will shock you how compact it is compared to the older Excals. I like mine alot. My kids like shooting it as well. The balance is alot better and my son even commented how much easier it is for him to hold it steady.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the valuable info. I really like my axiom but would love to shoot faster and flatter. Not sure yet if I can justify 1000. for 30 fps or so.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
nharrison said:
Thanks for the valuable info. I really like my axiom but would love to shoot faster and flatter. Not sure yet if I can justify 1000. for 30 fps or so.
I couldn't justify it either, but I bought one anyway.
I actually needed a second crossbow because we will probably have two kids in the woods this year at the same time. Truthfully I didn't buy the Matrix for the speed. I did it for the lighter weight and the smaller width. I was actually going to buy the 355, but by the time I would have added the cheekpiece and the REDS I would almost be at the 380 price. I also really liked the black color as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. Thanks. I've read where some don't like the 18" and are staying with 20" Do you think you will stay with the 18" Any problems that you notice with them? You can pm me if you don;t want to say publically.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
No problems at all with the 18". When I decided to get a Matrix, I was thinking along your lines of using the same arrows that I do in my Vortex, so I wouldn't have two types of arrows. Unfortunately that didn't work out. Arrowhead did some testing when he got my bow in and he found the 18" arrows shot better than the 20" arrows. The other advantage of the 18" is that they don't stick past your foot stirrup as well. I also sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
dpms said:
Arrowhead can tell you for sure but I would guess your Axiom about 285 and a Matrix380 about 360. Will see how close I am.
I think this is about spot on, but I didn't shoot it over the chrono.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
nharrison said:
It can be tamed though right? I would hate buy this xbow and have a horrible time shooting it acurately.
The 18 inch arrows work well. The GT Laser IV seem to work the best in this bow. You can use a 100 grain head and they are 456 grains. It shoots flatter with that combo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do ypu think 100 gr 3 blade spitfire would work with this arrow and bow set up? I seen that bh on sale at a walmart really cheap and would buy 4 or 5 packs if would work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts