The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A present to myself yesterday. I just bought a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 ga for my new turkey gun. I tried to get an Indian Creek 555 turkey choke but couldn’t find one anywhere online. But I did find a Carlson 555 choke tube on eBay so I got it. I’m also putting my Fastfire III on it. So far I have the Federal 3rd Degree 5 6 7 shot to try and east bank has some 7’s he wants me to try. I just forget what the 7’s are for sure lol later on I will have TSS 9 shot. This choke tube I’m getting will withstand the TSS shot. Can’t wait to get shooting!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Good for you Moss! Happy retirement friend. Those birds are in trouble this spring.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Nice treat !.....the 7s are unbelievable in 20 gauge.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Moss: Looks like this present is/will add to the addiction. Hope you have a great year collecting feathers. A few years back I dropped hints for a couple of years that I would like to have a BB's gun to shoot in the base during the winter to work on my trigger pull and to develop good shooting habits when the weather is bad.

No one picked up on by BB gun hints....I guess they though it would put my eye out.

So I took my request directly to Santa. However, again that year no BB's gun under the tree so after the packages were all open and everyone was setting around foundling their gifts I announced I thought I heard foot steps at the door. It seems no-one else heard a sound, so I said it must be for me. I opened the front door and low and behold there are a brand new BB gun setting there. Thank you Santa.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
One of my turkey guns is a Mossberg 20 gauge with a Pure gold 570 choke and currently some cheap clamp on sights. I also have a NEF 20 ga. NWTF series with a Tempest 555 and a fast flight III. I went through several different chokes, but these produced the best results thus far.....

They both patterned about the same and I have taken several gobblers with both from 18-39 yds. I tend to use the NEF more because I have the better sight system.

When I retired they gifted me enough money to purchase a Eotech 512 Holographic which I later returned under their recall system and used the money to purchase the Mossberg 500, several chokes and ammo. I am sorry I returned the sight as it worked great.

I am sure the 500 will serve you well. Post some pictures. I love sending early morning success turkey pictures to my buddies who are at work and reminding them to send in their S.S. payments as I need to purchase some more ammo and another CD card for pictures.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just gave me an idea! lol

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Moss you know what the price of those TSS 9 shot cost. I wanted to buy them but they were over $50 A BOX for 5 shells. I ended up buying some Winchesters at $20 a box.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
You'll love the 20 and never look back. FF3 is a great choice. I tried patterning Federal TSS 7's but didn't have a great results. I settled on hand load TSS 9's which are lights out. Yes, the 20 craze has Indian Creek sold out....they've actually been sold out for at least a month. I have an IC .555 and .570...running the .555 on there now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have a 20 gauge 1187. Love it. I shot a bird at 52 yards with it. Didn’t realize I was shooting that far and the bird was about to leave. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I dont consider. My self a great turkey hunter only really hunt them in the fall I just grab my trusty 10 gauge and watch them fold. Maybe some day will buy a designated turkey gun. I do hear great things about moss berg turkey guns with there back bored barrels ?? We shall see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts