The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say a guy has ZERO trapping experience, literally knows nothing. Couldn't even tell you what the different traps are called.

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha. I would like to only try probably 4-6 sets, and want to primarily target coyote and fox. I don't have to work till 930 in the mornings so time is on my side.

What traps would fit this best and where is the best/cheapest place to get them from?

Also how do they attach to the ground? A stake i assume?

·
Registered
39 Posts
MB traps are great and a big seller for us but they are pricy. Duke Traps are more reasonable but some modifications need to be made. Coyote requires double staking or use of a typ of disposable stake. Mb 450 for fox Mb550 for coyote or Duke # 1/34- # 2 Fox and #3 - #4 if just targeting coyotes. Best to get with someone who will show you the ropes. Not sure when we will get chance to come up to our Cabin in Canton to trap but would be glad to help you out. John

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
1.75 dukes, pcs outdoors,f and t trading post, and straight from the company duke. You stick a stake in the part where it should go to hold it down. Get some good scents and lures and baits. Im sure someone else will comment to reccommend some baits and lures.Get a dirt sifter and hand shovel. Dont buy them at gander mountain they will make you pay 9 dollars for a 6 dollar trap. You could also secure the trap with a grapple stake. Dye the traps and i Wax them after they are bought.Best to watch some people trap in person and youtube wouldnt hurt. Also read some books and talk to trappers for tips. Remember location location and bed the traps Solid!!! .22 also and bullets

·
Registered
332 Posts
My opinion......duke traps are cheap....use earth anchors if weight is a concern....otherwise rebar stakes are also cheap to make. Get yourself a 3. Pound hammer and a dirt sifter/screen and some type of little shovel ..you can buy lure or make your own to start. I am buy no means a very experienced trapper but just my 2 cents. Maybe trapperspaz or old mink could chime in .....they know what's going on for sure. Keep asking questions and get out there.....nothing like trial and error.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
kyle31490 said:
Lets say a guy has ZERO trapping experience, literally knows nothing. Couldn't even tell you what the different traps are called.

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha.
A mentor.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lugnut said:
kyle31490 said:

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha.
A mentor.
I Never had a mentor. Everyone around me is a fox trapper, I wanted to be a coyote trapper. I catch fox when they get in my coyote sets.....but I set almost exclusively for coyote. Learn the animal, how they travel, where they are and they will step on your pan.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Id pick up a half dozen or dozen used/modified #2s dyed/waxed ready to go and read the "hay set-how to.make" sticky post ontop of the forum....easy set to make..good chance to make some catches and get hooked...then you.can keep learning and experimenting as you go....

That is basically how.i.did it 2 years ago...walking up on my first yote....i was hooked...ive since learned to trap in the dirt with more traditional sets..and have caught with cable restraints..

·
Banned
275 Posts
Do some serious reading on "trapping" and ask some of these guys. Most likely somebody on here lives close to you and would let you tag along with them.

You will need some good traps. MB 450's or 550's seem to be what alot of guys use. I have some Duke & Victor traps and I just ordered a dozen MB 550's.

Remember, to catch fox and coyotes, your traps and equipment must be clean and scent free.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info so far and much appreciated guys!

As far as a mentor goes, I've never been lucky enough haha. I am a very good archer, and am self taught with trial and error and forums like this. Lots of reading and experimenting! I started shooting a bow6 years ago, and now I have won my hunter league at the bow shop out of 40 shooters, and not to mention i don't have a buck tag coming into rifle season haha. I've also done the same thing with nighttime predator hunting. So i kinda have a hand up on some beginners, I know scent control very well and know how predators act.

Still reading and learning! Thanks for all advice, it gives me something to research when i don't understand a term

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and i got a little first hand experience with hay sets 2 weeks ago haha. We were hunting stocked pheasant fields and i saw a little pile of hay here and there. Thought it was weird but we just kept hunting the edges. Well the set worked cause my friends Brittany just HAD to go over and check it out. Well he got bit and yelped, but got right out of it. So i went over to see what happened and i stepped right in the other set. Later in the day we talked to 2 other sets of guys with dogs and both of their dogs got wrapped up in them too.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
kyle31490 said:
Oh and i got a little first hand experience with hay sets 2 weeks ago haha. We were hunting stocked pheasant fields and i saw a little pile of hay here and there. Thought it was weird but we just kept hunting the edges. Well the set worked cause my friends Brittany just HAD to go over and check it out. Well he got bit and yelped, but got right out of it. So i went over to see what happened and i stepped right in the other set. Later in the day we talked to 2 other sets of guys with dogs and both of their dogs got wrapped up in them too.
Was this at Carlsons in Turtlepoint?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Well, before you answer I'm going to tell you a little story. First, I was going to offer to let you tag along, but now I'm going to have to think twice.

I'm new to that area and stopped and asked Mr. Carlson who gave me written permission to trap and actually gave me permission to drive down through his fields. He never once mentioned that pheasants were stocked there and if he had mentioned it I wouldn't have put traps there. Needless to say I pulled them immediately once I saw hunters hunting there. I'm a bird hunter and have had to let my own dogs out of someone eles traps and other peoples dogs before.

Anyhow, I'm friends with the local Game Warden(Mark) and he has told me since then that it is a co-op and I feel bad and will never trap there again.

Also, there is a witness with vehicle description of the two losers that urinated on my sets and of the nice guy who shot and destroyed my trap with his shotgun. THe dummy should have picked his shotgun shell up.

And tell whoever if you know them that stealing a mans red fox and messing with someone elses traps are illegal.

I'm not blaming you simply informing you, so you can spread the word the next time you encounter "two other sets of guys with their dogs".

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brown trout- It was not there, but also not far away. I will PM you with where it was.

Just for the record, I would NEVER mess with anyone else's stuff. I think urinating on or destroying someone else's things is disgraceful.

Add on- Also just wanted to clarify that when i stepped in the other trap, that was completely accidental and i had no idea what happened or that it was there, and i didn't touch anything.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
nomojo, what about coon dogs? they could be there anytime in the fur season.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Place Brown Trout is talking about is not on Game Lands, nor is it in any way marked. He would have had no idea.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
NoMojo said:
Well don't set on game lands before the pheasant opener lesson one some people are morons
First off moron, if you read my post clearly you would have seen where I said Mr. Carlsons property. It's private property not gamelands moron.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I didn't see the page 2 before I replied. That comment wasn't directed twards brown trout. I simply ment if someone went onto a game lands and set traps before pheasant season they would be an idiot

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
kyle31490 said:
The Place Brown Trout is talking about is not on Game Lands, nor is it in any way marked. He would have had no idea.
Correct!

I wish Mr. Carlson would have told me that pheasants were stocked there, I guess his coyote problem overwhelmed his thinking. Anyhow, I got your PM--thanks--you seem like a stand up guy.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Kyle, back to topic now. Do you know Scott Gorrel? He's up over the hill from you in Cyclone. Tell him Jason sent you and he will hook you up. If you let me know when your planning on going to his shop I'll let him know. He has some good prices on used traps that are already dyed. If your available on the weekend or anyday around 06:00 I could show you a few things.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts