The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from a small road trip today for work right before dark...

Had many things to do, or should I say, wanted to do before I wrapped up the day. Decorations, taking the coal ashes out, etc. I decided, the heck with it, I can do those things after dark.

I grabbed some warm gear and headed behind the house. There's a reclaimed mine area that was nicely planted a few years back a few hundred yards behind the house, and I figured it's been since last since I got out to either hunt, take a walk, or simply breath fresh air.

It felt like a serious force... one I could not control. I had no say in the matter... my two feet and my two hands were taking me out behind the house...

While I am done hunting for this year, I have no idea what my body was trying to tell me. There were so many things I wanted to get done, so many things on the agenda that were more important so to speak than going out into the wilderness.

While I had no say in the matter, due to my body not letting me make another decision anyways, I told myself these things could be done an hour or two later and it wouldn't make a difference. Or even tomorrow. I needed a good dose of the outdoors... and I wasn't about to try and fight the urge

Sometimes you just can't... no matter how hard you try and fight back. And today was one of those days...

I went back, on a very slow walk, and found myself nestled into a blowdown watching an approximate 250x1000 yard snow covered field... I cleared a spot in the blowdown, cleared the snow away and made myself a nice seat on a rock with some dry leaves and some grass. I got tucked into the blowdown, with nothing exposed but my face, and some hunter's orange for safety.

I questioned myself at this point what I was actually doing... why was I here? I have no tags, and nothing I can legally shoot is in season as far as I know. So what in the world am I doing here? It's cold, the air is blistering nippy... I have to be the only one crazy enough to be doing this. Some guys with licenses still are at home because of the weather, or the temperature, or the lack of deer sightings... I thought to myself, I have to be a real nutcase, eh?

The urge came back... the urge to sit there, the urge to be in the woods. The same urge that got me into this blowdown in the first place. I again could not fight this thing. The strength of such an urge is not even explaneable...

So I sat back, nestled into my little hideout, "hanging out" for no particular reason. It was aound 3:00 pm when I got out there, after I tried fighting the urge the second time... and I was tucked into that blowdown until dark. No if, and's or but's about it. I was in it for the long haul

During my time in that blowdown, I had time to think about alot of things. And forget about alot of things in the real world as well. I was glad I was attacked and manhandled by this instant urge to go into the woods, because I felt it was where I was meant to be. Where I needed to be... For now, and anytime in the future.

Around 3:30 I saw a squirrel chasing one of his buddies up a tree along the field edge... it's that time of year I guess for them. I sure do get enjoyment watching them at this time of year, gathering the winter's supply of food and taking it back to their nest wherever that might be. Makes me appreciate the little things in life so to speak... as well as appreciate the way nature revolves. How simple, yet, how complicated the woods are. I wished them luck through winter and they were out of sight.

Around 4:15 I make the figure of a lonely deer out about 500 yards in the field, coming out of one of the edges... I pull up the binoculars and make out it is a young baldy. The facial characteristics and the slender tone made that a quick assumption of being a youngster.

She fed her way along the edge, scrounging and browsing whatever she could underneath the snow cover on top. After a quick appearance and not finding what she wanted, or seeing what she liked, she mosied her way back into the woods and never came back out.

I kept a keen eye out the rest of the afternoon, with not another "hunter" or sign of life to be seen... other than a small group of winter songbirds.

I found myself making my way back to the house, with no deer on the drag rope, no deer rifle over the shoulder, and certainly no trophy to throw up on the tailgate... but I can tell you this.

This afternoon ranks as the best day in the field for me this year... I had time to "clear the mind" and see some wildlife. I had time to watch another sunset. I made a groundblind that would take the backseat to none. A true winner... one that might find the .264 Winny barrel sticking out of in the future hunting seasons.

I thought I made a big mistake not finding a way to fight that urge... not being able to control myself. Thought I was loosing it...

But sometimes one just needs to get out there into the simple world, a world of no troubles, a world that stands still and welcomes you back time after time. And the world I love so very much... and appreciate what it has to offer, and the fact that we can do this whenever our soul desires.

Sometimes I just feel like I have to be in the woods, with or without a gun or a tag to fill. It does the mind wonders

With a busier week for me, and many things to do at home, I know next time I feel a little exhausted with everyday life, I will say "just put me in the woods"...

Because I know that will clear my mind. I felt like a new man... a refreshed being. Give me the woods and I'll be happy...

I anxiously await the next "urge" to "just put me in the woods"... with or without a gun.

Amazing how the best days afield are sometimes those that have no blood on the hands or an expired round from the rifle to show for your efforts, rather, just memories that are unforgettable.

The best days are sometimes those that you soak in everything the woods has to offer a man, and for some, that can be alot!!!

Good luck to all the rest of the season...

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Nice post Nuge! I'm with ya on this feeling too. I'm blessed to be able to spend every day outdoors and spend more time observing God's creation than I do hunting it. I agree that jut being out there can refresh the soul and revive the the spirit. Peace at its finest!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Great post.This is what I feel most times. I read the posts on here about seeing no deer, too much talk on radios, deer drives etc and I wander how many hunters are there just for the kill. I consider my "tag" filled every time I can spend out with my son or just out getting closer with my maker.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I've done it myself. Sometimes when I go out to take down treestands after the season I end up sitting in them for hours just watching the woods. Great post!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Good Post Nuge.

Fast approaching age 56 now and still have that same urge to spend quality time in the outdoors with or without hunting weapons in hand. I feel very blessed to be born and live in an area where I can walk out my backdoor and enjoy "God's Creations" from viewing seeminly lifeless trees in bare winter, then come to life with green mixed with white and purple blossoms in spring, and them turn to breathtaking colors in fall. Watching the crystal clear water flow in the stream bed and marvel at the different stream life that it teems with from the headwaters to it reaches the saltwater ocean and then is returned back by the way of rain and snow to start the process over again as fresh water.

Those that don't believe in God, just don't know where to look to see his handprints.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good story, Nuge. Glad you're sharing your experiences with us again. Looking forward to more.

·
Super Moderator
28,552 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
The strength of such an urge is not even explaneable...
No need to try to explain, it's well understood

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm tagged out (not bragging), but my fiance still has a NY buck tag. I'll be taking her out this wekend and am looking forward to seeing the view from a couple of treestands that I have not sat in this season. I'm sure that soemthing will come along to entertain me.

Will

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Great post nuge and I am having the same urge to get out and sit for a day or two this weekend can't wait for that cold air to hit the lungs and then I know I will be in best place in the world.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I know the feeling well. I have a tendency to take my shotgun for a walk for coyotes in the dead of winter to a place with few coyotes. There really isn't much hope of getting one, but telling my wife I'm just going for a walk in the woods when it's 3 degrees outside would have her checking out the local insane asilums. Sometimes I only carry a handgun.

I will also go trout fishing sometimes if it isn't too cold outside. Guides freezing is where I call that one. The catching is normally very very slow, but the fishing is great. The best part is the place I normally fish there isn't any phone reception, no traffic, no barking dogs, no snowblowers, no traffic, no nothing. Just woods and water.

You just gotta get out sometimes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great post Nuge, you are truly a blessed man to be able to enjoy the outdoors in such a way as not to evaluate your day by what you have put in the freezer. Days to enjoy the woods have no seasons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts