The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Pecatonica River. Finally placed my order for the stock for my squirrel rifle build. I went with the Andrew Verner left handed stock in grade 3 curly maple. I must say they are a very accomodating company. Everything I asked for on this stock was available. Actually I only wanted the barrel channel and ramrod hole drilled and that's it. This time around I want to mortice out the lock area and trigger hole myself. They listed the ramrod channel as 3/8's but since my barrel is in .32 caliber the gun will take a 5/16ths ramrod. And they are drilling it 5/16ths per my request. I'm excited as this will put me one step closer to being able to begin the build. I only need to buy a butt plate and trigger guard and I can get started at least. Hoping to start the build this fall.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Pecatonica river is a very good company to do business with. I pan on purchasing another kit from them. Best of luck on your new build.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just going to be a simple, plain longrifle. No particular style in mind. I prefer simplicity so will not do fancy carvings or inlays save for maybe a hunter's star or something like that. I don't have the skill to do fancy work anyway. I'm not a purist in the sense that the gun will have to have certain aspects of one craftsman or another. Whatever appeals to me. I liked the look of the Verner stock, and lucked out that they make it in a left hand version. All hardware is going to be brass again. I like working with brass as it comes out looking nicer when finished than steel or iron IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Ordering the stock always determined that indeed the building project was underway, and this was not a matter of simply buying expensive kindling wood! You have made the project a serious commitment, and a flintlock shooter is down the road, and I wish you well with each future, pain-staking step.

I might suggest something for you to consider. I built my .36 cal. squirrel rifle several years ago, and it turned out well with one bothersome short-coming. If I were to do it again, I would change my selected 42 inch barrel choice for a 39 inch one. There is a lot of steel in that 42", .36 cal. barrel, making it uncomfortably front heavy, in my humble opinion.

I use this rifle during the fall turkey season, and readily admit that by day's end I'm glad to slide it back into it's wool case!

As a lefty myself, I can appreciate your desire to work on the lock and side plate inletting yourself. I use the dremel tool with extreme care inletting the lock, and although not historically correct, find it provides a neat and precise job of this all-important task.

Best of luck on your project, and best wishes for many enjoyable years in the squirrel and turkey woods!:smile2:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordering the stock always determined that indeed the building project was underway, and this was not a matter of simply buying expensive kindling wood! You have made the project a serious commitment, and a flintlock shooter is down the road, and I wish you well with each future, pain-staking step.

I might suggest something for you to consider. I built my .36 cal. squirrel rifle several years ago, and it turned out well with one bothersome short-coming. If I were to do it again, I would change my selected 42 inch barrel choice for a 39 inch one. There is a lot of steel in that 42", .36 cal. barrel, making it uncomfortably front heavy, in my humble opinion.

I use this rifle during the fall turkey season, and readily admit that by day's end I'm glad to slide it back into it's wool case!

As a lefty myself, I can appreciate your desire to work on the lock and side plate inletting yourself. I use the dremel tool with extreme care inletting the lock, and although not historically correct, find it provides a neat and precise job of this all-important task.

Best of luck on your project, and best wishes for many enjoyable years in the squirrel and turkey woods!:smile2:
Mine is going to be heavy, I'm expecting that. I bought a .32 caliber barrel, so the barrel's got even more meat to it than the .36. But, I went with a 13/16ths barrel, so Compared to the 7/8ths /.54 caliber I built for deer hunting, its probably going to weigh roughly the same. I can live with that.

Using power tools for the build doesn't bother me. I use a dremel for all my builds. If you buy a pre inlet stock, trust me, that thing was morticed on a machine. Take a look at the lock mortice and you can see the milling marks. So my using a dremel don't bother me at all. The only way a person could be 100% historically correct would be to go back in time and build the gun back when our forefathers did. Simply building a gun using all hand tools is still not correct if you're working in an air conditioned work shop under electric lighting etc. I don't give any thought to what tools I use in the construction of my guns. Its the finished product that I am concerned with.

Both previous guns I built, I had to inlet the side plate, but not the lock or trigger, so this will be a nice challenge, but I know I can do it.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
BB, I have a "Bivin's" brass trigger guard (new) I will never use, if it fits into you plans. I think I have a butt plate too, but I will have to dig around.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Oh, this ought to be cool. Keep us posted on your progress. I have a .36 cal for most of my small game work, but a true .32 is tempting. Your work just might push me over the edge.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still waiting for the stock. They told me it would be several weeks before I get it. I can live with that, as I don't plan to even start the project until the fall anyway. I am getting antsy though to get it. Once the wood is in hand then I can actually see it in my head being a finished firearm etc. Until then its just a box of part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts