The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2 guns for a buddy of mine at work one is a marlin/glenfield model 25 in .22cal. with a 7 shot mag and a small tasco scope on it. There is no serial number and from the research I did with out a number means it pre 1964 in that model. And a h&r topper model 158 in .410 with an AA serial number which i believe its a 1965 date stamp. Anyway both guns are in nice shape but have a little "character" to them. I paid $100 for both guns together so $50 per gun. I didn't really need them but the price seemed to good to pass up and I will give them to my son when he gets of age. How do you guys and gals think I did on the deal?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Pre-64?...Heh, heh, heh...You are under the false impression that any gun made before 1964 is a valuable collectors item, no matter who made it?...To set the record straight, a certain selection of Winchester guns made before 1964 have this collector value, and this value is determined solely on the condition of the particular gun.....None of this applies to your Marlin 22 except that any guns value depends of it's condition...Few working guns are worth less then $50 so if your 22 is in working condition, you did well.

The "Topper" 410....I have bought quite a few of these in various gauges for $35 to $50, once again, few working guns are worth less than $50.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Always use a extra 22 around the house,and a 410 setting in the corner can come in handy also,that was a great deal ken.I know i never could have walked away from that one.good deal !

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I'll tell you this much.If you end up with buyers remorse I'll give you the $100 for them if you like.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't expecting it to be a collectors gun and i never said that it was because it was made before 1964. All i was saying was that i can't find a date for it because of the research I did on that particular model they had certain stamps on the barrel stating what year the gun was and if it didn't have a date stamp it means it was pre-1964 so there is no way to find a date on it. To me $50 a gun seemed like a steal thats why i snatched them up. For $100 a can barely fill my tank. I'm sure my boy will make good use of them both

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
them glenfield 22's have a reputation for being decent shooting little rifles. many a squirrel has met it's match with a HVHP coming out of one of those rifles

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
It was a good deal especially if your buddy is also happy?

I picked up a used Rossi M92 Winchester clone in 44 mag. yesterday at a local gunshop for $400. Not as good as your deal, but I'm happy.

Appears as nearly unfired, since there is zero wear on cartridge gate, elevator or bolt and it's mint externally. 24" octagonal barrel, color case receiver and fore end cap, very nice wood.

Now I have two M92s, one minty original one (1906) in 38WCF and one like new clone n 44 mag.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The firearm you refer to without the serial number was
made before 1968, something to do with the ATF and mostly
22 rifles and inexpensive shotguns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts