The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://hosted2.ap.org/PAWIC/6ca8b7429ece...e64081992146b30

Ostrich-like bird on loose in western Pennsylvania

Police in one western Pennsylvania township have been on the lookout for an ostrich-like bird known as a rhea that recently escaped from its farm.
Beaver County farm owner Liz Low says the birds are docile and that the missing animal apparently got free by jumping a fence earlier this week.

North Sewickley Township police tell The Associated Press the bird — believed to be about 5 feet tall and 80 pounds — remained at large Friday morning. It's been spotted frequently in some woods along Route 65.

Police called the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium for advice on rustling the bird and were told to contact the National Aviary in Pittsburgh. Police say a special animal recovery team from neighboring Allegheny County might be brought in to help.

The township is about 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

Hay RSB what are you doing this weekend? Got nets will travel.
Waugh!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
If their eyes reflect light I am nearly sure I saw it coon hunting last nite...

I picked up eyes on the wood line after I cut the dog loose...could tell by the space between them and size they weren't deer...hit my spotlight but was too far away to see what it was...

Snuck closer and the eyes were still there...thought maybe a flying squirrel as the eyes were higher than a deer...hit the spotlight and it was gone...I then heard it running through the woods...my gut said "turkey". Just by the pattern of footfalls the critter made..sounded like a spooked turkey zigzagging down the hillside....

Don't know for sure...I didn't get a look at it...and I wasn't overly far from north sewickley...

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
About twenty years ago, or maybe even longer, a number of spring gobbler hunters in the Highland area of Elk County were calling in an emu while out gobbler hunting. All though I never got to see it nearly everyone was talking about it. I have no idea where it came from and I never heard anything more about it after that gobbler season. I suspect some turkey hunter got a really big one that spring.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
We had one running round my neighborhood a couple years ago Dick. I posted a few pics.
PGC didn't want to have anything to do with it and neither did PSP.

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
PADingo said:
We had one running round my neighborhood a couple years ago Dick. I posted a few pics.
PGC didn't want to have anything to do with it and neither did PSP.
The State Police called me on the radio one day about fifteen years ago to see if I could come out and help them round up four ostriches that were creating a traffic hazard outside of Wilcox in Elk County.

It turned out to be a guy had the ostriches fenced in but they had managed to escape and were now on the run. With his and a good bit of citizen help we did finally manage to get the big birds back to his property and off of the road.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Beaver County update the bird has been captured and is back in captivity. It was his mating season too and he returned after a week of walking the neighborhoods searching for new ladies. I guess things were not as bad as he thought at home.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was his mating season too and he returned after a week of walking the neighborhoods searching for new ladies.
Well he should have waited a few weeks then maybe the ladies would have been more receptive.

If not he may have been selected for the turkey basketball team.
Waugh!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
i guess the thing never left the area...

so now i am wondering what the heck i saw and heard that night...i really thought i saw it...now, i am scratching my head...its eyes seemed awful close together to be a deer and i thought the eyes were a good 5-6ft high..higher than the deer i see for sure...what i heard run sounded like a spooked turkey...2 feet pattering and running in a zig zag like a spooked bird...

maybe coincidence and it was a coon or flying squirrel and i spooked a couple deer or something...or a bigfoot........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts