The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the package in the mail. Trap, drag, chain, j hooks, s hooks, Cat collector lure, Bait, sifter, tags, Full metal jacket trap dip and dirt hole maker, 8 ft. chain. Will order wax dirt. Anything I forgot?
Thanks
Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my logic. Correct me if I am wrong. I will be doing this myself, unfortunately. If I have more than one trap and I catch two bobcats, will have a problem releasing one. Rather take my chances on one trap. Am I wrong thinking this way?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Multiple, multiple traps. If, and a big if, you happened to catch more than one in a day, it really isn't that big of a deal to release one. You are going to catch more coyotes than cats with that cat lure. Lol. Let alone possum and coon. You never know, you Kay go right out and catch one with just one trap, but I wouldn't bet anything on it, especially during a 3 week season with no experience.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think of it this way, I have 1 trap. Want a Bobcat. That means I will research, research to make sure I am doing it right. only thing I can't research, due to my work hours is a general area where I might have a good chance to find cats. That is basically all I am asking for. We all started new and fresh. I am 58 yrs old. Retired Army. Just need pointed in the right direction. Will scout the area and accomplish the mission. Thanks to everyone giving me ideas.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Retired Army
You and me both. I just got started trapping last year. I've built my trap collection over last season and this year. I've got about 3 dozen ranging from 110's, #1 's through #3 coiled. We all started somewhere. I'm really concentrating this year on coyote, since the prices seem to be okay on their furs. Though I do have my cat and Fisher permits. Hopefully I get lucky. Since bobcat season is in mid Dec through early January you should get your Cable restraint certification and try for some fox and coyote. Cable restraints are cheaper than traps and you can make incidental catches granted you have the proper licensing. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Best of luck to you this season. I have to admire your confidence just using one trap. I've been trapping since 1979 and I started out small with 3 traps. I now have a few dozen and I have yet to catch a bobcat either by accident or on purpose. Now if you want to talk fisher, well they seem find my traps with ease, except during the ridiculously short season we have.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scottm2012 said:
Retired Army
You and me both. I just got started trapping last year. I've built my trap collection over last season and this year. I've got about 3 dozen ranging from 110's, #1 's through #3 coiled. We all started somewhere. I'm really concentrating this year on coyote, since the prices seem to be okay on their furs. Though I do have my cat and Fisher permits. Hopefully I get lucky. Since bobcat season is in mid Dec through early January you should get your Cable restraint certification and try for some fox and coyote. Cable restraints are cheaper than traps and you can make incidental catches granted you have the proper licensing. Good luck this season.
Thanks scottm 2012

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can you do it with one trap, yes. Not my preferred method and be prepared for a let down. I would suggest a lot of time in the woods looking for sign before the season comes in. When you find sign, put some game cameras out and see what you find on those. Look at the first animal on the camera each night. If you're doing it right that will be the animal in the trap in the morning. Make a set without a trap and point the camera right at it. This alone will show the animals response to your sets. This is a very good learning tool that we have available now days. I'd set the GC to video as this will really give you more insight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts