The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bro and I own 83 acres of mt ground.. we just got the timber cut, and they moved out the equipment the other day. What can I do right now to help attract the deer and turkeys? I'll probably plant something in the log landing and use that as a food plot. Does anyone have any other suggestions of anything else I could do?? There is a little stream that runs down through the property, I was thinking about digging a spot out beside it and making a little watering hole.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure what your age is but since you used the term bro I'll assume you're fairly young. Wait till this fall and purchase several hundred pounds of acorns from around the country. Focus on acorns from oak trees that aren't common in your area. There's a pile of oak species out there so do your research. Throw them in the fridge over the winter, properly germinate them in the spring and get to sticking them in the ground after the frost. 20 years from now you'll have a property that every deer/turkey flock to every fall.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Virtually impossible to make suggestions with that amount of info, but can't go wrong with the basics of cover, food, and water. Generally speaking in PA I would focus on the them in that order and primarily cover and food before I went digging waterholes which fill in pretty quickly and typically we aren't hurting for water sources here. If you don't have good oak regeneration I would focus on that like bass said. If you want to put in the work involved with food plots they are a proven attractor but not for everyone as they do require large investments of time and money. For less maintenance I would look toward making sure you get good post cut regeneration of native species. You should be seeing natural regeneration of food and cover species like greenbrier and blackberry canes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what your age is but since you used the term bro I'll assume you're fairly young. Wait till this fall and purchase several hundred pounds of acorns from around the country. Focus on acorns from oak trees that aren't common in your area. There's a pile of oak species out there so do your research. Throw them in the fridge over the winter, properly germinate them in the spring and get to sticking them in the ground after the frost. 20 years from now you'll have a property that every deer/turkey flock to every fall.
yeah, im 24 years old!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This really all depends on how much time and money you have to put into it. If it were me, I'd let a section of the land alone to get thick and provide cover\bedding areas. When we last timbered on our property, we created a 1.75 acre food plot that already had orchard attached to it. We had the loggers push all the unwanted logs to one side to the deer could only enter from one end or the other, so it makes it much easier to hunt over. On the back side of this we have a very thick bedding area that nobody goes into until rifle season. As far as what you can do for your land, like the other guys said, oaks would be great for long term, problem is it takes 20 years and it's a lot of work. If you have the correct layout, I'd make a 1-2 acre foodplot. I'd also get some chestnut seedlings and some older trees planted along with some disease resistant fruit trees. Again, these take a lot of work maintenance, time, money, you can't just plant and be done with most trees or you just wasted your time and effort. You will only get out what you put into it. Just my $.02. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
...possibilities are endless..
..what species was cut?...what was untouched?...
..mixed timber?...mature? saplings? pole?
..making core area?...hinge cutting?...dominant wind direction during hunting season in your area?
..clearings?..paths?

..a "water hole" wont do diddly..

..contact forester...or WCO land manager..let them know you want to enhance your deer potential...

..your land management may be in 3-6 year cut cycles

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...possibilities are endless..
..what species was cut?...what was untouched?...
..mixed timber?...mature? saplings? pole?
..making core area?...hinge cutting?...dominant wind direction during hunting season in your area?
..clearings?..paths?

..a "water hole" wont do diddly..

..contact forester...or WCO land manager..let them know you want to enhance your deer potential...

..your land management may be in 3-6 year cut cycles
They took out all of the maple.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Ag lime (think powder) will be cheaper than pelletized lime, but it is more difficult to spread. Best to get your soil tested so you know how much each area needs, as well as any other fertilizer you might need. Mossy Oak has a nice soil test guys on here have used, and I use the Penn State soil tests that I can get at my local gardening store.

Our waterholes have made a significant impact on our property for a variety of critters....but we were lacking any kind of water source. I have read that deer prefer to drink from still water versus running, so they can hear any approaching danger better while drinking. Cover, food, and water...they need all 3.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ag lime (think powder) will be cheaper than pelletized lime, but it is more difficult to spread. Best to get your soil tested so you know how much each area needs, as well as any other fertilizer you might need. Mossy Oak has a nice soil test guys on here have used, and I use the Penn State soil tests that I can get at my local gardening store.

Our waterholes have made a significant impact on our property for a variety of critters....but we were lacking any kind of water source. I have read that deer prefer to drink from still water versus running, so they can hear any approaching danger better while drinking. Cover, food, and water...they need all 3.
Yeah we have some springs on our property, I was going to try and make a watering hole around there.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Some good advice above. Any area that you want to put in food plots and any logging roads that you want to keep open, make sure to keep mowed even if you aren't going to plant right now. Plant any trees that you want to plant now as well.

Did the logging company reseed the roads/logging areas? Did they put on lime and fertilizer when they did? It should be in your contract. If they did then you may just need to mow and maintain.

Got any pics after they are done logging? Might help with the suggestions to see how much logging was really done.

What species did they leave?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The log landing food plot is candy, no real habitat benefit.
For real advice you would have to give us much more information. If they took mostly maple is that because that's all there was?
Give us an idea of what the residual stand is made up of.
Planting acorns in an area that doesn't have any may seem like the right thing to do but there's probably a very good reason there weren't any there to begin with.
How heavy was the cut? Was there a consulting forester involved or was this a logging operation with a diameter limit cut? What was the goal of the logging operation?
Overall, with much more information you will get better recommendations.
Help us help you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts