The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tc hawkens basically brand new for 240 it's a 45 cal. My question is what type of black powder and should I shoot sabots or a ball and can you use pellet powder?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Flintlock or percussion? For flint, black powder all the way. And most guys will tell you that round balls kill just as easy as saboted bullets and are cheaper
Best I can suggest is shoot both and see what you are more comfortable with. 3f black powder down the barrel, 3 or 4f in the pan for the 45 should do ya fine!

·
Registered
781 Posts
You got a deal! Black powder for sure. You may want to try PowerBelt bullets. They are easy to load and seem to shoot pretty well for me but they are expensive. Gander Mt had some in Chambersburg but no 54s. Cabelas had them on sale though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
psychobeagle12 said:
Flintlock or percussion? For flint, black powder all the way. And most guys will tell you that round balls kill just as easy as saboted bullets and are cheaper
Best I can suggest is shoot both and see what you are more comfortable with. 3f black powder down the barrel, 3 or 4f in the pan for the 45 should do ya fine!
Flint lock it's a beautiful gun and ok sounds good I'll just buy some cheap stuff and try it so 3f black powder?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That would be what I would use. When I shot my 45, I used .440 round balls and 70 grains of 3f black powder. Worked very well for me. I know it's kinda short notice for the season but just experiment and good luck!

Edit: Starter kit... I don't think I would go with a starter kit. Usually the stuff that comes in the kits can be found for a reasonable price at better quality. Read up on the different things you will need and piece yourself together a kit. Most of my stuff is homemade. My short starter, my bags, turkey call cases for flint holders, a safety pin for a vent pick. The only thing I think I really purchased were 50 cal speed loaders and my flask.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
psychobeagle12 said:
That would be what I would use. When I shot my 45, I used .440 round balls and 70 grains of 3f black powder. Worked very well for me. I know it's kinda short notice for the season but just experiment and good luck!

Edit: Starter kit... I don't think I would go with a starter kit. Usually the stuff that comes in the kits can be found for a reasonable price at better quality. Read up on the different things you will need and piece yourself together a kit. Most of my stuff is homemade. My short starter, my bags, turkey call cases for flint holders, a safety pin for a vent pick. The only thing I think I really purchased were 50 cal speed loaders and my flask.
Ok thanks I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yep, You got Yourself a deal !! I`ve shot a few Deer with My.45 and none went far. I used 60grs. Of 3F. My Grandson started out going to M`loader shoots using a Percussion T/C Hawken in .45. very accurate Gun.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ron pa said:
Yep, You got Yourself a deal !! I`ve shot a few Deer with My.45 and none went far. I used 60grs. Of 3F. My Grandson started out going to M`loader shoots using a Percussion T/C Hawken in .45. very accurate Gun.
Well this is my first time using a muzzleloader I cant wait to try it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering about putting a fiber optic front sight on my gun I currently just have a black dove tail no white bead or anything and honestly it drives me nuts because its just all black lol. What are some good sights to put on the gun I might just take a paint pent and put a red dot on it for know but I want to look into sights.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
bdemutis said:
I was wondering about putting a fiber optic front sight on my gun I currently just have a black dove tail no white bead or anything and honestly it drives me nuts because its just all black lol. What are some good sights to put on the gun I might just take a paint pent and put a red dot on it for know but I want to look into sights.
QUICK & EASY FIX
Try alternating colors of BRIGHT/FLORESCENT nail polish. Just a dot on front bead and coat entire rear blade. Cover in hard clear coat. Done in several coats, should last years. Works Awesome for just a few dollars....

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Sounds dumb, but hot pink on the front sight and outline the rear notch in white...super visible. Used it on several old military bolt guns with a lot of success.

Gear needs:

-work/range/cleaning rod ($12)
-patch jag for 45-bore (same thread pitch as rod)($5)
-ball puller (same TP as rod)($5)
-flints ($3/ea)
-patches/balls, or maxiballs, or sabots/bullets ($10/25)
-3F for the barrel (I'd go with that)($25/lb)
-4F for the pan ($10/bottle)
-Cleaning patches sized for a 45-bore ($10)
-flint knapping hammer (Dixon has them for about $10)

That should get you the basics needed to get going. $100 will get you set up and shooting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tdd said:
Sounds dumb, but hot pink on the front sight and outline the rear notch in white...super visible. Used it on several old military bolt guns with a lot of success.

Gear needs:
Yea I bought everything I bought balls some powder tubes patches a t handle ball punch/ quick freeloader all in one some flint and a pick and powder measurer and last year I found a pan pen in the woods during late archery so that saved me $15 for a pan primer.

-work/range/cleaning rod ($12)
-patch jag for 45-bore (same thread pitch as rod)($5)
-ball puller (same TP as rod)($5)
-flints ($3/ea)
-patches/balls, or maxiballs, or sabots/bullets ($10/25)
-3F for the barrel (I'd go with that)($25/lb)
-4F for the pan ($10/bottle)
-Cleaning patches sized for a 45-bore ($10)
-flint knapping hammer (Dixon has them for about $10)

That should get you the basics needed to get going. $100 will get you set up and shooting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WADMAN said:
bdemutis said:
QUICK & EASY FIX
Try alternating colors of BRIGHT/FLORESCENT nail polish. Just a dot on front bead and coat entire rear blade. Cover in hard clear coat. Done in several coats, should last years. Works Awesome for just a few dollars....
Thanks Ill give it a try.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stupid question but can I use 3f in the barrel and in the pan or no? Also oiled patches or non oiled the ones I got from my store were non oiled patches.
Also gun came with a cleaning jag in the side circle compartment in the stock.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Patches need to be lubricated. Lots of ways to go about that. Did you get anything for that purpose?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tdd said:
Patches need to be lubricated. Lots of ways to go about that. Did you get anything for that purpose?
No so I guess maybe I should return them and get lubricated and I'm confused about the powder what to use in the barrel and what to use in the pan?

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
FFFg powder for your charge in the barrel. FFFFg in the pan. If in doubt, use FFFg (3F) for both. Don't...repeat....Don't use FFFFg (4F) for the charge in the barrel.

You can keep the patches, just get some patch lubricant. Dixon will have a few different types.

·
Registered
345 Posts
bdemutis, I'm in the same boat as you, having just got a new flintlock. Lots of good advice here for both of us. I got fff for the barrell and ffff for the pan, but it's my understanding that you CAN use fff in the pan, though results might not be ideal.

I bought pre-lubed patches made by CVA. But you can lube your patches with spit or crisco, I've been told.
We are talking shooting patches right? Not cleaning patches - some cleaning patches are not suitable for shooting.

I have so much to learn.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Cleaning patches are going to be large....way too large to use for shooting.

Prelubed are easy, no doubt about it. Probably the easiest route to go with time at a premium. You'll probably want to play with different lubricants and patch thicknesses and such over time to find THE load for the rifle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts