The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i just started to get into trapping the past month, and now starting to built my supply of traps for next season, I was wondering how may traps do you fellows set out?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
as many as you have time to check and operate. for the 8-4 working guys its tough to get too many out because you have to run everything before work in the morning and you have to sleep sometime lol.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
I only have 3 sets out. Since I have to be at work by 7am that's all I can put out, but I do sometimes check them twice a day, if I happen to over sleep in the morning I check them as soon as I get home from work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Right now i have 11 foot holds out at 4 locations. Its a LOT of hustling in the morning before work but its like a drug I can never get enough of!

·
Banned
174 Posts
When i was a younger trapper n the state of Pa. , my dad would take me to a place called Vans Sporting Goods on 38 in Butler , i would not take cash for my pelts i would barter and take traps and lure and build up my gear over the years from doing that !!

I was just thinking i started trapping before there was even a furtaker tag , you didnt need anything to trap license wise !! I also found old receipts and i was getting 8 dollars for rats back in the early 80's !

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i run 10 to 20 land sets at a time . i always set doubles at each stop . you'll never get as many set as you hope , takes time and lots of energy

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well being retired, i have the time, and finding traping another good hobby, and it's nice to get out, when hunting is basically over.
I am thinking a dozen dog proof, and perhaps a dozen 1.5 for coon, and some #2 for fox and coyote.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have the traps set them out they do no good in the shed. I set them all out and set out for how ever you feel you have time to check.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Some years ill run up to 30 out but this year I'm only running half of that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Callmaker60 said:
Well being retired, i have the time, and finding traping another good hobby, and it's nice to get out, when hunting is basically over.
I am thinking a dozen dog proof, and perhaps a dozen 1.5 for coon, and some #2 for fox and coyote.
is that IT? LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts