The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i need some advise i just took over the booshway job for our rondy later this month and iam looking for some ideas on different shooting games any help?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
a. cut a standard 100 yd round rifle target in quarters and use them as 25 yd targets.

b. stake shoot use 2ft sections of 2x4. Shooter must cut 2x4 in half with as few shots as possible (or 4 x 4)

c. helium balloon on a string at 50 yds swaying in the wind

d. 2 liter plastic soda bottles filled with water at 100 yds. add some bright colored latex paint to give it color.

e. clay birds. shoot one at 25 yds, then 30 yds, then 35 yds, etc, until the shooter misses. shooter who nails them out the farthest wins.

f. if your range is safe, set soda cans out at 20 yds. idea is to shoot under the cans and have the impact into the dirt kick the cans up in the air and down range. The idea is to, with how ever many shots are necessary, make the can jump from 20 yards past the 30 yd mark.
First shooter to knock his can past thirty yards, without shooting through it, is the winner.) This is really something to see if you require loading at the firing line, because loading speed helps. a variation of this is pumpkin rolling. The shooter has to load his gun so light, that the ball sticks in the pumpkin and makes it roll down range.

g, four seperate black circles of decreasing size on a sheet of paper. 4 inch, 3 inch, 2 inch and one inch. the largest circle is 7 points, the 3 inch circle is 8 pts, 2 inch circle is 9 pts and the one inch circle is 10 pts. A shooter gets five shots. and can pick his circles, a hit gets the points a miss gets nothing. The shooter can pick which circles he wants to shoot. If he shoots 5 at the smallest circle and misses twice, he gets only 30 points, yet if he shoots 5 at the 8 pt circle and hits four timese times out of five, he gets 40 points. or shoots all five into the 7 pt circle, he gets 35 points. Obviously, this is best as a non-re-entry match. The shooter must judge his skill against the chances he will miss. Does he gamble at missing the smaller target, or take a safer route and shoot at a larger circle.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zimmer i like the 2x4 idea [410er]that aneat idea i think iam going with both of them iam even going to try a 3 man team most shots at a deer target most in kill zone wins but its a 3 minute or 4 min shoot

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Fer cryin out loud. Just read your list. There must be a bunch of guys out there that can shoot a front-stuffer a far stretch better than I can.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you would be amazed what some people can do with their flinters. As Brad Emig told me "it's not normally the gun, but the nut behind it"

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Fleroo Practice practice practice.

I've seen guys shoot 3 inch groups offhand at 100 yds

On a really good day, I've done that at 75 yds, but it has been awhile.

I've seen guys shoot at axe heads and split their round balls to break clay birds on each side. Or hang a ham at 25 yds on a 3/8 inch rope and watch them shoot and cut the rope. Down at Ft Shenandoah, outside Winchester VA, I saw guys with civil war muskets shoot at clay bird size targets at 100 yds and hit 5 for 5.

I would love to go to Friendship Ind for the Nat Muzzleloader Matches. Some of those guys can knock the ticks off a dog at 100 yds.

The soda can thing is actually easier than it sounds. Works best on sandy soil, but can be done anywhere except on rock. Try setting a soda can out just above the base of the 25 yd backstop. Aim for just an inch and a half to two inches under the can. The impact of that large round ball hitting the dirt causes the dirt to "explode" and knock the can around. It is easy to learn and impresses the heck out of those who don't know the trick. Try it. If you get good enough with a cap and ball revolver, you can do it with that as well. Folks will start calling you Sundance. At a range near Davidsonville MD we would team shooters. A muzzle loader rifle and a muzzle loader shot gun. The guy with the rifle was to kick the can up in the air and the guy with the shotgun would then hit the can on the fly.

Another cool trick is to hang a heavy metal disk at about 25 yds with a hole of about 1 inch in the center. Put a block of wood or other item on the back side covering the hole. You have to shoot through the hole to hit the block of wood to score.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
MT take a rotisserie motor, one used on a BBQ grill, extent the rods that would hold the meat and make a Y. Put a clay bird on each Y with rubber bands. Set the unit behind logs/timbers so as it turns only 1 bird at a time is above the logs. Set it at about 20/25 yds. As the moving birds come above the log take your shot. As the birds get shot off it becomes imbalanced, with only 1 bird left as it goes over center it will dissappear quickly. Requires electricity but It is a lot of fun. We called them "flying birds and it isn't as easy as you think.

Charcoal bricks, like you use on a BBQ, hang on a string at 25yds on a windy day and 50 on a calm day.

cross strings at 20yds, break 1 string only get 1/2 half the points. You stretch 2 strings tight to form an X, you have to be dead on to break both. We would make frames that we could put 4 sets of strings up at a time. You don't have to go down range often but it saves closing the range to reset.

Poker, take a deck of cards, tack entire deck face down. Have no more than 5 shooters per deck (4 works best) Each guy shoots 5 shots, must have ball entirely inside card or card doesn't count. They pay a fee to be "in". After each shooter has his 5 shots (remember he only gets the cards he hits) If they want any additional cards they must pay a set fee for up to 3 more shots. We had a score sheet the you maked each guys shot and then pulled the cards after each round so they could make their poker hand.

keyhole, plate steel set at an angle so the shots that hit the plate go into a pit. cut a keyhole in the plate, shot thru the "eye" 1/2 the points of a shot that goes thru the slot.

cattails, take a board and drill holes to stick cattails into, shot that only gets fuzz 1/2 the points of one the cuts the cattail in half.

Team shoot, take a board and drive several sets of 2 nails, set the boards so it tilts back a little and set clay birds on the nails. A "team" (your choice of 2 or more shooters) must break all the birds and pieces, clean the board in the fastest time or have several sets of boards and all shoot at the same time. Start with loaded rifles and load from the pouch on the line. It's a lot of fun and if it is a calm humid day the boards get a little hazy. some birds will break clean and sometimes a little piece will hang up and take some extra shoots to get the board clean.

Anyone remember the "running buffalo" that was at the Blair Co sportsmens club? Back in the 70's I won it once and placed a couple of times.

I loved to shoot "junk" better than punch paper. I shot at Friendship for several years and some of those shooters, men, women and jrs were amazing shooters.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here is one that is just plain evil. I came up with this one for the trek at N Lancaster. each shooter must stick his belt axe or hawk in a stump handle pointing up then must set a charcoal bricket on the handle then shoot the charcoal off the handle from about 15yds. If you really want to mess with them have them trade tomahawks befor this target.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Long Hunter that is evil :eek:.

I have done the 1 legged shot, stand on 1 leg, take the foot that is off the ground and touch or hold it against your standing leg and shoot, it ain't pretty.

Or the spin the bottle shoot, load your rifle and lean it against a rest, tree, bench whatever. The shooter bends over and grabs a bottle, the other guys spin him around as he holds the bottle on the ground. When they think he is dizzy enough He then has to straighten up, pick up his rifle and shoot in a limited amount of time. Best to have a couple guys close so the rifle stays down range. The boys who hit the "dew" the night before don't care for this one at all

Split the ball on the axe is fun, the secret is forget about elevation, bear down on the windage, we used ballons instead of clay birds.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Cut the playing card in half for more difficulty have card mounted at a 45deg angle. Makes lining that front sight up a whole lot harder!!

I shot a course one time where at each target you drew a number from 1 to 3 from a hat. If you drew 1 you shot standing #2 you shot sitting #3 you shot laying. this gets real interesting if its wet or muddy.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Long hunter, your right on the "angled card", At 1 shoot they blocked off an area about 12' wide directly in front of the card, it forced you to shoot at an angle, only saw 1 card cut clean that day.

Saw a guy a club wanted to play tricks on, muddy day, they told him every 4 shooter had to shoot prone. Yep, at every target they told him he was the 4th shooter, took him a little while to figure out he was the only guy getting muddy.

Mt, most guys who like the smell of sulfer like a challenge, if they get to good at what has been posted just tie feathers on strings and hang them out there about 20 yds on a breezy day. Then tell them they have to call their shots

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
big redneck we have the feather shot on one of our trail walks i even put up a car spring on a chain but i put a log in front of it so you only see about 2inches on top and bottom

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
The folks who shot "trade guns" would tie the feathers they shot down on their guns to "fancy" them up a little, some had an impressive amount.

When you have a challenging trail it makes the prizes even sweeter when you have a good day.

Mt, keep em guessin' it makes it more fun.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Shoot at a blank piece of white computer paper.1 shot.Fold paper in 1/4's after the shot to find center and the one closest to the center.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts