The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at all the buck pics here and noticed most people are tagging their buck on the antlers with a zip tie....... Just wanted to point out it's an ear tag and according to the 2012-2013 digest this is ILLEGAL. The deer buck or doe must be tagged thru the ear.

Not scrutinizing anyone for it, just a little warning, it'd be a real slap in the face if you took a buck lawfully and got smacked with a tagging violation haha

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have never saw anyone get fined for tagging an antler. It's usually because the deer is going to be mounted. With nicer bucks these days, a lot of guys are mounting their trophies.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
While it might be technically illegal to tag on the antler I highly doubt any WCO or deputy WCO is going to even mention it let alone cite you for it. It's a letter of the law vs. spirit of the law thing and quite frankly not worth the paperwork. I imagine if you would get cited for such an infraction a magistrate is going to ream the WCO for being a horses back side!

I've been checked with a buck tagged on the antler. WCO never said a word about it accept he asked me to please remove the tape so he could read the tag. It was the old metallic paper tags that were 6" or so long. I would wrap it around the antler and then wrap it with electrical tape to keep it in place.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I almost always zip tie my tag to the antlers, Twice i have had wardens look at my bucks and never said a word. My taxidermist gets mad when people cut their bucks ear. When you take your buck to a taxidermist and he capes it the tag has to go on the antlers anyway.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Some of ya'll never killed bucks on SGL 198 I take it.....
Nor should you pin your tag to a does ear with your old license holder when dragging out said deer sans weapon or string/tie to affix tag otherwise.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
And whats wrong with that? A spare lic. holder works very well and doesent tear off. Also if you have a good drive home it sure isnt going to blow off.

·
Super Moderator
14,673 Posts
I don’t think any WCO cares if the tag is on the antlers or the ear as long as the tag is properly filled out.

It does become important to have the tag stay with the head if the buck is going to be a processor’s. If the tag is on the antlers and then the hunter takes the antlers there is nothing on the head when the deer processing teams arrive to input the data needed to develop an accurate harvest estimate. That lack of usable data then means you don’t get a harvest estimate with the best possible margin of error and ultimately a higher possibility of management errors in the future.

When you leave your deer at the butcher shop make sure the tag stays with the head so they can get the best possible harvest data. Other than that I don’t think anyone else in the Game Commission really cares where the tag is placed on the head.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree that if a warden is going to fine/complain about HOW you are tagging your buck he/she shouldn't be in uniform....I'm pretty sure everyone tags their doe in the ear...I think there are many more serious matters that they could be on the look out for....How about guys that kill deer WITHOUT a license! RIDICULOUS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts