The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so over the past 2 weeks I have been out to a few different places fishing and something I have found a common theme is TRASH. Yeah trash either covering the side of the roads, the side of the stream, or at popular dump sites. I don't know why but recently it has started to bother me a lot more as the amount has seemed to be increasing. With that being said, I think this is a great opportunity to get out there and do something about it. We could hold a HPA clean up day? We could hold it on a sat afternoon either state wide or each region could have their own day.

Just some thoughts that I thought of. We could promote this in local news papers and or local new stations and hold the event for anyone interested (or just keep it simple and have HPA members only and then have an article after the fact). It would get the word out about the site, get members together, and clean up some of our favorite outdoor sites. We could branch out to the local boy scouts or hunting groups if need be. Maybe if turnout would be high enough hold a cookout later and ask for donations from local business in the way of food for a cookout, purchasing trash bags, drinks for workers ect... They could also get a little bump in publicity in the paper/news as well. Obviously this would all need to be dictated and setup through the local reps of HPA but we could share ideas and thoughts and what not. I just thought of this on my way out of the woods today but I have tons of ideas already.

If we even wanted to give something back we could always do a thing where we collected the cans and turned them in and then made a donation to the PGC and or Fish commission under the HPA name. I know it wouldn't be a million dollars but even if it was something just to give back to the commissions that crutch the sports we love.

Some of us are waterfowl hunters, small game fanatics, big buck hunters, and die hard predator guys/girls. However we all have 1 thing in common and that's the love for the outdoors. So what do you think HPA clean up day? Maybe I'm really out in left field but I think this could be a good idea?

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
i like it!! 171 did we talk about this a year ago?

One thing I think you should try to do though is focus on litter NOT CREATED by sportsmen. Yes, the fishing pigs bother the heck out of me , but I think you get more win/win media mileage for hunting itself if you pick up an illegal dump, or even just a roadside trash cleanup....something the genral public created but hunters fixed.

I think it should be the same day Statewide for best impact.

Good idea.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have not talked about this...maybe someone else? And yes I didnt mean we would pick up along a stream even though there is tons of trash. I just meant like a road side or dump site. Would be even better if it was a long a SGL or something if there is a lot of trash

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That is a good idea. That would really get alot of attention.

I was also considering contacting the "Adopt a Highway" program. Adopt a 2 mile section of road or do this throughout the state.

How cool would this look?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh now that would be cool! Lets put the horse before the buggy though...got lots of planning to do and filling out interest and what not

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Noah,

I do think your idea of a day set up for this is a great one. It would also be great to do it on a statewide level. HuntingPA Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful Day or something like that. If enough media attention is received, I am sure some very prominent people would love to help out, especially with being an election year for some positions in Pa. That would generate interest from all parties involved and would start putting HPA on the map and radar so to speak.

Very good idea.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Noah contact Gary Haluska. He organizes this every year and I take the Scouts along. We do some roads and some of the shore line at Glendale Lake. He schedules PennDot to pick up our trash and PennDot gives us bags and work gloves.

Dean

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I will contact him on Monday. He may sponsor us through his WAM funding.Any suggestions other than a road or stream.

We can copycat the PGC slogan

S.P.O.R.T

S.portsman
P.icking
O.utdoor
R.ubbish
T.ogether

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Gary Haluska will be calling me later today. I plan to get him involved with this event and with the site in general.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Just got off the phone with Gary Haluska. He said he will supply the bags, gloves, and vests and have PennDot haul the trash away. His office will do a press release for us and he will come out and help. Can we look at a Saturday in July when he is not in Harrisburg. He suggested the road to Rock Run since visitors seem to be trashing it heavy.

He said he will look at the site and possibly become a member. I informed him that this site is the perfect resource for him to keep updated on the PULSE of the Pennsylvania hunter which would benefit him and us.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds great. What a coincidence on what road he wants to do

Any sat in July would be awesome except the 4th of july weekend. Maybe the weekend following? Im sure that road will get a lot of traffic due to people going to ride that weekend.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any further news on this Dean? I know its a ways out if shooting for July but just curious. Looking at the expected turn out for the Curve game, I dont expect much participation from the site for the clean up (maybe not thought?). However the press and exposure we get will be worth it

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I just need to post it in a thread and gauge the response. Does not look good for the Curve we need at least 25 to attend. I will post the clean up today and monitor the responses.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good. Please let me know where you post it, I am on here a lot but sometimes miss the most important posts.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is anyone a mod that cant sticky the post in the general hunting section about the clean up day

1 - 20 of 29 Posts