The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is a phrase repeated by many people who operate a business. Here are some others......

I'll be with you in a moment

Wait a moment

One moment please

My question is, how long is a moment? No one knows. It's arbitrary. It's not a measure of time, so why say it? It could be five seconds or five minutes. How long am I supposed to wait? This is very troubling.

I'd like the opinion of some of the brilliant minds on the HPA website on this subject.

·
Super Moderator
28,024 Posts
A moment is just a bit shorter than a few moments.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
This "moment" thing is a corollary to
How far is away?
How much is enough?
How long is a piece of string?
How high is up / how low is down?
The Obama Administration is currently working on government regulations and laws that will standardize all of these things and make a better America.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Moment (time)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The day is divided into 24 hours, and each hour into 4 puncta, 10 minuta and 40 momenta. Similarly, the week is divided into seven days, and each day into 96 puncta, 240 minuta and 960 momenta.

A moment (momentum) was a medieval unit of time. The movement of a shadow on a sundial covered 40 moments in a solar hour. An hour in this case means one twelfth of the period between sunrise and sunset. The length of a solar hour depended on the length of the day, which in turn varied with the season,[1] so the length of a moment in modern seconds was not fixed, but on average, a moment corresponds to 90 seconds: A day was divided into 24 hours (of unequal lengths, twelve hours of the day and the night each), and an hour was divided into four puncta (quarter-hours), ten minuta and 40 momenta.

The unit was used by medieval computists before the introduction of the mechanical clock and the base 60 system in the late 13th century. The unit would not have been used in everyday life. For our medieval counterparts the main marker of the passage of time was the call to prayer at intervals throughout the day.

The earliest reference we have to the moment is from the 8th century writings of the Venerable Bede.[2] Bede describes the system as 1 hour = 4 points = 10 minutes = 15 parts = 40 moments. Bede was referenced four centuries later by Bartholomeus Anglicus in his early encyclopedia De Proprietatibus Rerum (On the Properties of Things).[3] Centuries after Bede's description, the moment was further divided into 60 ostents, although no such divisions could ever have been used in observation with equipment in use at the time.[2]

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the explanation of the term "moment."

So, as I read it, if somebody tells me they will be with me in a moment, they should be with me in 90 seconds or less. If not, they are either liars or they don't want my business or they don't know the meaning of the term "moment." Should I then take my business elsewhere?

Now, what if they say, "I'll be with you momentarily?" How long is that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Super Moderator
28,024 Posts
That means they'll be there in one moment, on the dot.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
dc 21 said:

So, as I read it, if somebody tells me they will be with me in a moment, they should be with me in 90 seconds or less. If not, they are either liars or they don't want my business or they don't know the meaning of the term "moment." Should I then take my business elsewhere?

And if you are served, when they want their money you can say I will pay you momentarily.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
dc 21 said:

Yes and no

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
It would equal 1 moment, but would not necessarily be the next one after the reply.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BCozhunter said:
That means they'll be there in one moment, on the dot.
Dot? What dot? Where's the dot? Who controls the position of the dot? This opens another cans of worms. I need answers.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
What kind of worms? night crawlers, red worms,marine worms, silk worms , inch worms, flat worms? It makes a difference ya know. Then and only then can we explore the dot question that momentarily cannot be answered. It's a vicious cycle you are in.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wald Jager said:
What kind of worms? night crawlers, red worms,marine worms, silk worms , inch worms, flat worms? It makes a difference ya know. Then and only then can we explore the dot question that momentarily cannot be answered. It's a vicious cycle you are in.
Exactly!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts