The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this question has been fielded here before, so sorry if it is a repeat. If you are a junior license holder who has turned 17 since you have bought your license, are you still "eligible" to participate in all the "youth hunts"? Reading the definitions in the rule digest it is not really clear, go figure. Any WCO's input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not true! Check page 13 of the digest, some of those junior hunts are for kids 12 to 16 years of age, it is the age not the license that determins if they are eligible.

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
My impression was, that while the Jr license is still "good" after the hunter turned 17, the age restrictions for participating in some hunts are what determines whether or not one may participate, as you noted.

Youth Hunts as described, specifically state that hunters must be between 12 and 16.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
it says 12 to 16 W/0 a license and junior license holders!
I got it from calling local GC number and they told me as long as he was 16 when he got the license. This was about 11 yrs ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is 12 to 16 w/ or with out a license where the age is noted.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Ok John, I'm not trying to argue, but it says on page 13 of the current digest, under youth hunting opportunities, "12-16 year olds or Junior License Holders", now I would take that for what it says, OR junior license holders.

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
Digest, P.21:

Squirrel (Youth Hunt 12-16 yr. old; Jr License holders)
Combined species; eligible junior hunters (12-16 years old without a license who have successfully completed a HTE course and Junior License holders) and accompanied as required by law and mentored youth hunters.

It specifies the same age limitations for the Youth Pheasant Hunt, same page.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
DennyF said:
Digest, P.21:

Squirrel (Youth Hunt 12-16 yr. old; Jr License holders)
Combined species; eligible junior hunters (12-16 years old without a license who have successfully completed a HTE course and Junior License holders) and accompanied as required by law and mentored youth hunters.

It specifies the same age limitations for the Youth Pheasant Hunt, same page.
exactly: And junior license holders!

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
eligible junior hunters (12-16 years old...

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Look guys, this is like saying: Supper tonight for 12 to 16 yr olds, or anyone that has a license to eat, then saying to someone who shows up with a license and a plate, sorry only 12 to 16 yr olds, can't you read??

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
OK I just called the NW region office and talked to Nick and he told me as long as you were 16 when you bought the license, you are legal.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nick is wrong, 12 to 16 doesn't mean 12 to 17, it is the age, not the class of license. I suggest you call the bureau of law enforcement in HBG.

For the early deer and youth turkey it is the class of license and you may be 17 if you bought the license at 16. It isn't a one answer question because there are different licenses for the different youth programs. My God, how hard is this really? It is in the book, if it doesn't say or, or is not there!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Well, I'll tell you what John, if you are correct, and I'm not saying you are'nt, then they need to change the wording because "OR a junior license holder" is then misleading and could get a lot of people in trouble.. Let me ask you a question, have you ever run into this situation in the field and if so, how did you handle it?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Springfreak, I believe that as long as you have the junior liscense that the junior laws apply regardless of when you turn 17. What they told you in the NW office is exactly what I'd go by.

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
I'd "go by" what John has said, since he is one who helped write such things and would've been the person to clarify such issues, anytime someone "from the field" called to ask for that clarification. Neither the wording nor the meaning has changed, since he retired.

Most times it's only the "opinion" of the right person, that counts? The Digest clearly indicates only those who are between the ages of 12 and 16 are eligible. Eligible being the clarifying word, here.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Why does it read 12-16 when you can hold a junior license at the age of 17? That should be adressed because everyone I know, myself included when I was 17, participated in junior hunts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts