The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to Canoe Creek for a week, and I would like to do a day trip with the wife. It looks like the Juniata is right around the corner from there. My question is whether that section of river is a good float this time of year and what the access to the river is like. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Micah

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
There is a bike trail about a mile from the lake that parallels the river from there downstream to Water Street. I'm sure you could look up the trail and figure out access points. A good all day float might put you at the Point Boat launch in Huntingdon where the two branches merge.

http://www.rttcpa.org/lower.shtml

·
Registered
23 Posts
Late to the party, but from up near williamsburg to the Point would indeed be an all day event. You'd hit water street, alexandria, petersburg, a portage around the petersburg power dam, then down to huntingdon and finally the point. If google earth is correct, you're looking at about a 35 mile float. Heck, its 28 miles between canoe creek (there where the narrows start, where the road and river run parallel near that jeep place) and petersburg by river, and almost 16 to water street.
For comparison- a couple cousins and I put our kayaks in at mcveytown over the summer, and floated/fished to the industrial park river bridge access in lewistown. No portages, didnt stop to fish in one spot for long, only stopped for a couple of breaks for lunch and whatnot. 15 1/2 miles, just over ten hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts