The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June / Mid-Year 2016 Recap

The month of June flew by in a whirlwind this year and I only ever got motivated to tell the story of the first weekend of the month (see topic "Return Visits"):

June 4, SAT, 2 streams, 197 trout, 10.25 hours
June 5, SUN, 1 stream, 132 trout, 7.75 hours

But the remainder of the month fished pretty well, too:

June 11, SAT, 1 stream, 207 trout, 10.00 hours
June 12, SUN, 3 streams, 140 trout, 8.75 hours
June 14, TUE, 1 stream, 102 trout, 8.75 hours
June 18, SAT, 3 streams, 123 trout, 8.50 hours
June 25, SAT, 2 streams, 100 trout, 7.50 hours
June 26, SUN, 2 streams, 105 trout, 7.25 hours
June 27, MON, 2 streams, 135 trout, 8.50 hours
June 28, TUE, 2 streams, 102 trout, 8.50 hours
June 30, THU, 3 streams, 105 trout, 7.25 hours

Streams levels were ideal early in the month.

By the end of June most freestoners were low enough that it impacted the fishing.

I found myself on limestoners a lot near the end of the month, though they are relatively low too due to minimal snowfall last winter and the lack of soaking rains in the spring and early summer.

There's something special about being on a limestoner on a hot humid summer afternoon. The cool spring water meanders through clumps of watercress, and if the conditions are correct, cool air hangs over the stream making it seem like an air conditioned room. The smell of decaying watercress wafts up to your nostrils.

Colorful wild browns attacked my spinners.

Many were landed.

A tiny mountain freestoner surrendered this colorful wild brown trout.

A few leftover stocked rainbow trout filled the void on one day between wild browns.

And of course let's not forget about our handsome state fish, the native brook trout.

Many of them were landed, too.

Some of them looked like they were hand-painted.

A few hawgs were fooled, like this 17.5" brown from a mountain stream about six feet wide.

I got a little anxious while playing this feisty rainbow and snapped my graphite rod.

This attractive trout measured 16" long.

And of course, while fishing I'm always on the lookout for interesting flora. Here's a lone orchid I spotted along a little mountain stream (purple fringed orchis or orchid).

One specimen of foxglove was growing along another mountain stream. It pays to know your wildflowers. Just one leaf chewed and swallowed from this flower may cause paralysis and sudden heart failure. The leaves contain digitalis, a cardiac stimulant that when used in correct dosages can keep heart patients alive, including my father for many years.

Sundrops, likely a garden escapee, bloomed along a favored limestoner.

Forget-me-nots decorated some of the streams I fished.

In the mountains, hay-scented fern emitted that wonderful smell that I can best describe as a combination of coconut and celery, two of my favorite flavors.

One day while walking back to my SUV I found a bladdernut tree.

Overall I landed 1,448 trout in June during 11 days astream over 93.00 hours. I averaged 15.57 trout per hour (TPH) fished and 131.64 trout per day (TPD) fished.

For the year through the end of June I've caught and released 4,633 trout in 325.00 hours over 40 days on the water. I'm averaging 14.26 TPH and 115.83 TPD. I've topped 100 trout on 31 outings.

Last year I had 3,440 trout at the end of June in 255.50 hours and 31 days.

Right now things aren't looking too good for the remainder of the summer. I've already seen trout amassed in the deeper pools, and riffles virtually absent of trout. We need rain for the trout fishing and the farmers need it for their crops. My fingers are crossed.

- Frank Nale -

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Great pictures Frank. Really vividly colored trout. Nice pictures of the wild flowers as well.

You are really having an exceptional year so far. I agree that water levels are going to be problematic for the remainder of the summer into the fall.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Wow!!! Awesome pics as always...and awesome stats as always!!!

Your right about the rain... yesterday levels were nice..but the small stream was literally draining as I fished...in a hurry...we need more to keep levels up...the cooler temps thrown in help as well...

I'm curious about your access and such...to keep such a pace and do it as much as you do (and others like Trout2003, trout travler etc). You guys re either marathon runners, or have people drop you off or pick you up,or don't have the hikes that most my adventures involve..

For me I love the remoteness and and hiking aspect as much as I do the fishing....

But yesterday I logged somewhere around 13 miles...3 miles was walking down the road..a mile or so was a gasline...leaves me with somewhere around 8 miles fished..

I had a few other streams I wanted to hit..but I was pretty well whopped..and it was like 6pm when I got to my truck..i fished from 930-5.

For me I enjoyed yesterday because I could do the hike all at once...fished a few miles of 2 streams and it took up the day...

I just don't know the secret to stream hoping and still covering water miles...opposed to miles on the legs...

·
20,190 Posts
I walk as little as possible haha. I work out enough at my house gym in the evenings. I dont need any additional excersize haha. I drop that moutain bike off and drive down stream. I dont have very may hike in streams around me at all. A few here and there and a few that aren't condusive to biking. I just walk them. Not a big deal. Frank fished a heck of a lot more than I do to. He's clearly in decent shape obviously. I dont know if he's running marathons from fishing but I'm sure his walking fitness is very good.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike Walewski said:
Did i read that correct that you snapped your rod?
Yes. I think that is my 4th broken rod in the last three years.

I'll re-use the guides when I get around to making my next rod. I am currently using my B-rod.

I have all of the necessary parts for making my next rod. I just have to find the time. For those of you who have never made a rod, it's pretty easy. I don't have any expensive equipment so it takes some time to build one...maybe about twelve total hours.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trout 2003 said:
I walk as little as possible haha. I work out enough at my house gym in the evenings. I dont need any additional excersize haha. I drop that moutain bike off and drive down stream. I dont have very may hike in streams around me at all. A few here and there and a few that aren't condusive to biking. I just walk them. Not a big deal. Frank fished a heck of a lot more than I do to. He's clearly in decent shape obviously. I dont know if he's running marathons from fishing but I'm sure his walking fitness is very good.
I drive myself to my fishing destinations and I do all of the walking myself. No bike, though I do ride a bike quite a bit on days I don't fish.

I think my longest walk was around two hours and forty minutes after a day of fishing.

I think nothing of a walk of an hour or so. I actually enjoy the hike back to my SUV almost as much as the fishing and I look forward to it.

If I fish several days in a row, I typically schedule it so that the days with lots of walking are mixed in with days with little walking, rather than having a bunch of long-hike days together.

I'm 58 years old but my legs are in pretty good shape from all of the walking that I do. I also am not carrying around any extra weight. I weigh a stealth 185.

I never run because I have a disc problem in my back. Walking is my main exercise.

I don't think I could do the 13-mile day that mauser06 just did. Are you sure your GPS unit is working? You (mauser06) fished around eight miles in 7.50 hours? Are you fishing all of the water or are you just walking to the good pools and skipping a lot of the stream?

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
My GPS died died...it logged just over 11mi. I know 3 was down a road...another 1.5 or so from my truck to the stream and from the stream to the pavement...I'd say it was off for atleast a mile..so atleast 12...

I mapped it with a mapping program and "straight lines" Gabe me a bit over 8mi. The GPS seemed to accurately log time stopped and time moving..my average moving time was right around a mile an hour which I find is typically accurate for fishing time...

I actually feel like I fish "too much" junk water...I'm still learning the ropes.. figuring out where, when etc fish are in certain holds etc...

I do quickly blow through water that looks flat...if it's a bigger Creek I cast and walk big flat boring looking water...which the first stream had a fair bit of and the flat water wasn't producing...in the spring it probably does..but being 66-68 degrees the bigger holes where the place to fish...

I will keep an eye on the GPS...not sure how it logs miles...but when I got to the truck it was just over 11mile and 4.5 or so miles was walking...

·
20,190 Posts
"I think nothing of a walk of an hour or so. I actually enjoy the hike back to my SUV almost as much as the fishing and I look forward to it."

And that's the most important thing right there! I hate the walk. It's WORK to me. I wish I felt like Frank because it would really add to the day. All I ever wanna do is save time and get back to the truck as swiftly as possible to either fish some more and get on with my day. I'm jealous of Franks attitude about this.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I'm not nearly in as good of shape as Frank, so I try to minimize my hike back at the end of the day when I can. I frequently do have long walks back at the end of the day because it can't be avoided. If I had a bike, I could avoid some long return walks, but not all of them.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
I enjoy the remoteness, the scenery etc...but like Trout2003 said, to me work and time taken from more fishing or life..i consider it "part of it" though...

Some streams I park at the headwaters and hike miles into the mouth...others vice versa....

No way to avoid it really...and many of mine a bike wouldn't help...one end or the other has no road so no way to get the bike there...

The other day a bike would saved 40 minutes or whatever..i walked pavement for 3 miles or so to my truck...i was smart enough to stash my tennis shoes up there at the road lol...had to leave my rod, waders and vest..but I tucked it away and hoped all 3 cars that travel the road in the hour I'd be gone wouldn't snoop that hard...i mean you'd practically have to see me stash it to find it...

One thing about the summer is I won't fish the HOT days..simply can't...hiking the way I do in even my waist waders is asking for trouble...and I'm not into wet wading..i rather be hot than walk through swamp grass and such with shorts on..much of my area could have rattlers and copperheads as well...will waders stop all strikes? No...but I betcha they'd provide protection against some..a rattler or copperhead shouldn't kill an adult if they can get to help fairly quick....but alone...2-3-4-5 miles from the truck...no cell service...will you make it to help? I don't wanna find out...

I do love the remoteness and the adventure of it... I've come across many awesome things...I've been to places I know not many people in recent years have seen...me and the fish and the wilderness...

When selecting a stream I often go after wilderness streams just because it gets me away from everything...I've even considered starting to kinda backpack and hammock camp in some areas that have water so deep it isn't reachable in a day...just the logistics of it are tough...i can live on Cliff bars or something for a day...water becomes an issue but can purify stream water..so really wouldn't need much extra..a hammock is tiny..could probably pack it in my vest and fish miles...camp...stash the extra weight and continue my trip...a few hours before dark head back and hike out and grab my stashed gear...

That'd be fun once in a while I think...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts