The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting in some juntin boxes on existing hook ups and adding on short run to a exhaust fan. i got some 4 inch metal boxes and the push in type connecters do i need to put cable clamps on the wires to pass code? i looked at the area all around in home depot where i got the boxes and didnt see any clamps there? thanks

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I would imagine you are using romex? If so, you will need romex connectors. 3/8 romex connectors for 1/2 inch knockouts on a 4" square box. Always use the proper connectors when doing any electrical work. If this on a 20A breaker, the wire needs to be 12ga.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I need to add I presumed this is all 110V.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Also while using a metal box to meet code you have to use a ground screw to bond the box and all junction box's must be accessable.

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts
mallardmaniac said:
do i need to put cable clamps on the wires to pass code?
Yes

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts
mallardmaniac said:
i looked at the area all around in home depot where i got the boxes and didnt see any clamps there? thanks
Please explain what types of clamps you are referring to

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the clamps that keep the cable from being "pulled" its 110...yellow cable yes 1/2 in knockouts on the box..it says on the wire...12-2 something about 600v ground..bed bath blah blah blah on another note the bathroom initially didnt have an exhaust fan since im putting one in does it have to flow outside or can it blow to the attic where there is a ridge vent and side vents? not good wx to be up on the roof installing roof vents

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds like you need romex connectors for your box's, there two screw connectors with a lock nut lowes,home depot any hardware store will carry them, You can vent the exhaust hose out the soffit not code but it will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Do not vent anywhere but outside. Spend a couple dollars on a vent to mount and save yourself from spending alot of money on mold remediation and repairs later. Do it right and save yourself some money and headaches later.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You don't need to install a roof vent. You can get a vent to mount on the side of your house.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yellow is 14 guage....make sure the line your putting the junction box in is 14. If it's 12 guage you'll need to continue with 12 guage. 14 is 15 amp and 12 is 20 amp.

Yes you need romex connectors on the box with a cover. Wires need to be stapled within a foot of the box.

Vent should be to outside....louvered vent on outside wall or at least to a vented soffet.

Also,,,code does not allow you to "bury" a junction box behind paneling or drywall....must be accessible.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Chief48 said:
Yellow is 14 guage....make sure the line your putting the junction box in is 14. If it's 12 guage you'll need to continue with 12 guage. 14 is 15 amp and 12 is 20 amp.

Yes you need romex connectors on the box with a cover. Wires need to be stapled within a foot of the box.

Vent should be to outside....louvered vent on outside wall or at least to a vented soffet.

Also,,,code does not allow you to "bury" a junction box behind paneling or drywall....must be accessible.
Are you saying yellow romex is 14 guage? isn't white 14 and yellow 12?

·
Registered
241 Posts
oh darn...thought I fixed that. Correct Yellow is 12. Man thanks for pointing that out. If its older construction though 12 and 14 could have the same sheath color.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the side of the house is brick and the roof is just 2 feet above the bathroom fan there. so all the boxes are done with the romex connecters. man a gfci switch outlet combo is a [censored] to figure out for someone who doesnt do them everyday. finally done!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Could just tie exhaust vent into vent pipe for plumbing.
If it's close by.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts