The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out scouting for ducks today and I jumped up a giant buck out of a small clump of trees out in the marsh. Now no one ever goes out in this tump for 10 months/yr but we do move through it during duck season. The shooting has been good and looks like it will continue to be so inland so this place will probably go undisturbed for another 2 weeks.

My question: This time of year, will that buck return to this safe haven or is he long gone?

I still have a month of archery and would love to get an arrow in this bruiser. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
16,027 Posts
iv'e never been a big beleiver that a buck beds in the same place daily. mebey, right after gun season, if he's found a sanctuary, it could be. at least you know theres a good buck still somewhere in the area, and you certainly have a good starting point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
if hes holding up in there he finds it good cover an most likely will circle back an bed back down in there..id say grab your bow an try an get em..gl..

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
He has too be eating somewhere near by that spot so put some time in on him you never know what could happen good luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd imagine hes gonna be in the area. I found that on google earth. It looks like a locked in area, but with the fields in the area he'd prolly move late. Any crops still standing?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
he'll be there again not sure when but he'll be back. We kicked this guy up the first wednesday of the season. Hit it everyday after he was back on friday.It was a small drive swampy tho only about 400yard patch.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i'd use your boat to get to the area, and enter from the woods on the south side. that's got to be his home area. if you hunt there enough, your bound to see him again.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
So I found this on google earth just to see what the whole area looked like. The woods you found him in is .38 miles if you were to walk around it. Plenty big to hide a buck. The AG fields to the east are .50 mile straight line from center of that woods. You found where he beds and can assume where he eats, get in the middle and good luck.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I jumped a buck in my little sanctuary spot the last day of buck. I went back thru yesterday for the first time and he was in exactly the same spot.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
You shouldve been there the morning of the 28th. Once you bumped him you had all the time in the world to figure out a setup that you couldve stuck him. The next morning, more likely than not he came back and you missed that chance. He probably smelled you were there at that point.

Now youre going to have to burn that bridge a little to figure out his pattern or stay out for a week or two and then look for the exact same conditions that had him bedded there prior.

He could be bedding there on a south east wind based on the gps point. Do you have a way to get in close without being seen as in 75 yards max from the actual bed?

The good news is that even if he never comes back another buck will take that spot over. You figure out how to access that the right way without getting busted and I would say you could kill a buck there pretty consistently. Not every year but maybe and for sure every couple of years.

The thing about water too is it creates onshore and offshore breezes with the cooling and heating(thermals) of the earth. That might be the wind hes using rather than predominant wind.

Go back and get every weather detail you can about that encounter, wunderground has a history feature.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
big bucks don't get big for being stupid. deer know when the pumpkin men enter the woods and start shooting. the big boys will go to the place that kept them alive or stumble on an area that gets no pressure and will keep going there till he is pressured out, and from that pic, it looks like no one will travel there just to push a small swampy woodlot out. that buck is a smart one. he uses the lake of water to his advantage knowing danger does not come from the water. he will use the wind to his advantage if the wind is going toward the water. I would go back to that spot, but come in from the water side. sounds like it might be alot of work. but nothing big comes easy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I believe he probably went back the same day. Nearly every large buck that I've jumped I saw again either later that day or the next day coming back.If its his core area and hes used to no pressure, one incident isnt gonna scare him off.

·
Registered
25,551 Posts
if you have snow check his tracks, then check the field where they are feeding for the same size tracks, he will probably be nocturnal

set up somewhere between after you digest all this info and come up with a workable plan.

OR...

let him go, dont go back, wait til next gun season and get there before he does.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
He has his safe area. Get between that area and his food source which is most likely the fields... Use the wind and good luck....you have a few days to play the outside of the area and see if you can catch him in a pattern in and out of his bed area....good luck, nothing like matching wits with a nice buck...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts