The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses the tactic of walking and jump shooting deer. I know some frown upon this tactic because of the pressure on deer and disturbance to other hunters. Also the split second decision one must make on whether it is a legal deer. I personally use this tactic occasionally when it is SAFE to do so (large tracts of land free of houses/walking trails/low hunter density). I will pick a couple of weekdays during the second week after sitting for a couple hours in the morning to walk through cover still open enough for a shot. Especially on less than ideal weather days and when there is no manpower for a drive. I've had success doing this in past seasons and it's also a great opportunity to scout new lands for next year. I almost exclusively archery hunt and I love stretching my legs for a couple days each season.

Again I know there will be negative opinions on this and IMO this is solely a second week weekday hunt. Would like to here of others who've had success

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with that method and it is a very successful one if you have the proper vantage point and patience enough to move slow. I normally save my doe tag for rifle season just so I can take one this very way. 8yrs running it has been a successful method and nothing is more fun that being able to execute a plan without having more than a second to think about it. Good luck and go get one

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Do what you want, not everybody agrees with all methods. Moves deer. Lots of places in pa you can walk all day and not see a soul.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Myself and a friend were doing small drives yesterday he was doing all the brush busting, and we moved more deer that day than we saw all season. Not a soul around either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Like to do this when I am on my own and not seeing deer. Take a nice slow walk using the wind and mountains for better vantages. I have shot 4 buck in the past doing this and I have fun doing it. You never know where one may get up at.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I don't mind people walking and jumping deer, especially when I am in my tree stand. It may work for some, but it's not for me. To many people have the mentality of jump a deer and try to get some lead in them. I believe a lot of young deer get shot and/or wounded this way also.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can sit the PA opener fairly well since there is generally other hunting pressure.

where I hunt in NY there is very little pressure so I use this tactic quite a bit. I don't necessarily try to get the deer that I jump, but remember the location on the farm and work into it a bit more slowly at another time.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
I walk 90% of the time but I don't jump shoot them.In fact,I've never even shot at a running deer unless it was wounded first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was sitting on the woods today when this idea popped into my head ... Could a 1 man drive be a successful tactic?

I thought to myself, I need to Google that.

Then I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

And yes, I'm a relative newbie.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
if you know where and how the deer use the area you are hunting...pushing deer to yourself can be very productive.

I like to push and silently jump them and then circle back and cut them off at the pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts